Announcement on Mutual of Omaha Florida PDP

Just got an email from M of O that it is now available to sell in Florida.

Yeah I got it too. No thanks! I was going to sign up a couple of people but I’ll wait until the dust settles and in two years they are A) double the price or B) gone altogether

16 of the 26 PDP's in Georgia next year are from carriers that do (or will) write MA coverage. Writing a PDP on your Medigap clients with one of these carriers gives them an open door to sell your client on the idea of eliminating the premium and get "free dental and vision coverage" as well.

My clients are very loyal and it is rare when an MA carrier poaches one of them. But I don't like the idea of inviting the fox to guard the hen house.

16 of the 26 PDP's in Georgia next year are from carriers that do (or will) write MA coverage. Writing a PDP on your Medigap clients with one of these carriers gives them an open door to sell your client on the idea of eliminating the premium and get "free dental and vision coverage" as well.

My clients are very loyal and it is rare when an MA carrier poaches one of them. But I don't like the idea of inviting the fox to guard the hen house.

Just had two clients yesterday that were on Humana pdp saying they had Humana calling them to switch to their “free” plan with drug coverage. Thankfully those clients were smart.

Maybe I just need to stick to silver script

A few years ago when UHC and Humana were in a race to see who could offer the lowest premium I referred several clients to those carriers.

Both those carriers have moved north of $20 and UHC/AARP has a Walmart co-branded plan for those who like to shop there.

Fortunately there are other PDP carriers now that don't have an MA carrier affiliation.

I have found myself writing quite a bit of Anthem Medigap business lately. I believe their lowest premium PDP is in the $50/mo neighborhood.

I wonder how many folks buy BX/Anthem because of the name and then enroll in the PDP because they believe that is the way things should work.

I can't save everyone from themselves but I do manage to drag enough into the Church of Somarco and show them the light.

A few years ago when UHC and Humana were in a race to see who could offer the lowest premium I referred several clients to those carriers.

Both those carriers have moved north of $20 and UHC/AARP has a Walmart co-branded plan for those who like to shop there.

Fortunately there are other PDP carriers now that don't have an MA carrier affiliation.

I have found myself writing quite a bit of Anthem Medigap business lately. I believe their lowest premium PDP is in the $50/mo neighborhood.

I wonder how many folks buy BX/Anthem because of the name and then enroll in the PDP because they believe that is the way things should work.

I can't save everyone from themselves but I do manage to drag enough into the Church of Somarco and show them the light.

I've spoken to many AARP and BC Medsupp people who have both med supp and pdp and won't leave ever, I even have some of my own UHC/AARP clients for medsupp especially in NY, That I had also put them on AARP PDP because at the time it was the best fit and now that things have changed I have to comfort them that they do not have to have to both from the same carrier, that they will not be penalized for canceling one and not the other

I don't know where people get these ideas in there head that BC/ AARP is the best just because even if they are way overpriced and that they can't change drug plan without negative effect. However, to some, it's so ingrained you can't even talk to some

You have to understand the mentality of these "old" folks. That's what I was trying to convey in another thread about Boomers.

BX was the first carrier to write health insurance on a national basis and most of the plans were non-profit. They marketed heavily to docs and hospitals, telling them because of market share if the providers want to get paid they need to accept BX insurance.

That generation believes "all the doctors take BX so they must be the best". They buy on brand recognition, not price.

AARP sucks people in at age 50 with "discounts" on everything the 50+ generation wants. Anything from "simple" computers and cellphones with BIG buttons to travel and meal discounts. A slick marketing ploy so by the time they get to 65 they believe AARP has taken care of them all these years so the UHC plans have to be the best.

They will also buy the F plan without question because all their friends have F and it pays for everything.

There is also brand loyalty with Mutual of Omaha as well but that is mostly because of Wild Kingdom, a Sunday night show hosted by Marlon Perkins. Marlon was connected with the St Louis Zoo and took viewers on a National Geographic kind of tour of places in Africa and other continents. He would even jump in the river and wrestle an anaconda . . kind of like Steve Irwin, except Marlon had white hair and a nice smile.

At the end of the show, in a suit and tie, he would lean against a desk, look into the camera and say something like "Just like the momma bear takes care of her cubs Mutual of Omaha will take care of you."

Branding and trust is a big thing with seniors more so than saving a few dollars to go with a carrier they never heard of like Cigna or Aetna.

They also know if they package their HO with auto they get a discount. So they assume if the put their PDP with the Medigap carrier they get a discount as well.

Most folks peddling Medicare coverage are just pushing a product vs taking time to ask questions and listen. They also don't know this generation like some of us do.

No matter what your product or market is, if you don't know your customer you will have a tough time making it over the long haul.

My parents had Blue Cross coverage. No idea if that is an additional wide spread factor that weighs in on purchasing decisions.

Back