Annual Enrollment Period

moretrax

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'd like some feedback please. Recently, I've had 2 prospects who would like to switch a Med Supp plan to another Med Supp say they had to wait until AEP. Really?

This is my first "season" so I want to make sure I've got this straight. AEP is for MA plans, change, switch and PDP to change, switch or add on.

An individual can enroll in a Med Supp or an MA plan at any time of the year if they are in their open enrollment period or have a guaranteed issue right. Right? And they can switch from one Med Supp to another Med Supp (provided they can be underwritten) at any time. Right?

It seems some carriers are putting information out about the AEP that is misleading to some people.

Thanks for your input.

You are correct on all points. Stay tuned for 15 more responses saying the same thing.

They can apply for a med supp anytime.
They can apply for an MA during AEP or at anytime if they have a qualifying event.

Don't confuse GI with the other stuff.

AEP = Open enrollment for MA and PDP for a Jan 1 effective date

Supplements = Anytime throughout the year provided the prospect can pass underwriting- Some states have GI (guaranteed issue) times

Meidcare / Medicaid = Can change plans (MA or PDP) anytime during the year

In general, most beneficiaries can only change MA and/or PDP plans during AEP.

Some exceptions would be: moving to a new service area, qualify for extra assistance (social security assistance), leaving a group plan, etc.

Hope this helps!

I'd like some feedback please. Recently, I've had 2 prospects who would like to switch a Med Supp plan to another Med Supp say they had to wait until AEP. Really?

Probably the issue most seniors misunderstand most. They get in their head that AEP applies to everything, rather than just MA and PD.

A few people who get it about the ability to change anytime regarding med supps goof that up, too, thinking that means they can change from an MA to a med supp anytime. Outside the trial right GI, that is one situation where one cannot get a med supp anytime.

This is my first "season" so I want to make sure I've got this straight. AEP is for MA plans, change, switch and PDP to change, switch or add on.

An individual can enroll in a Med Supp or an MA plan at any time of the year if they are in their open enrollment period or have a guaranteed issue right. Right? And they can switch from one Med Supp to another Med Supp (provided they can be underwritten) at any time. Right?

It seems some carriers are putting information out about the AEP that is misleading to some people.

Thanks for your input.

Companies aren't misleading. It's just that seniors don't understand what they have. No where can they say you can only change your med supp during aep.

Meidcare / Medicaid = Can change plans (MA or PDP) anytime during the year

While this statement is correct, it should include those folks who are receiving 'Extra Help', which isn't Medicaid, but a subsidy on Rx's based on 150% or less of FPL. Those receiving 'Extra Help', as well as Dual Eligilbe's (Medicare / Medicaid) have a SEP each month throughout the year and are not limited to AEP.

Back