Annual Reviews for Medigap Clients

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I know it's a good idea to reach out to your clients approaching AEP just to touch base with them, assist them with Part D, etc. But, how many of you schedule annual reviews with your clients on their policy anniversaries, or at least make the effort to do so? Their rates typically change at this point so it's probably a good idea to review their plan, answer their questions and so forth.

But what about clients you know you can't move like someone who recently had a stroke or someone with systemic lupus? This is more likely to be the case the older they get too. It would seem kind of pointless doing this review well into someone's 70's that has been your client since 65 if you know they'll never pass underwriting with another medsupp carrier. So if you do annual reviews, do you phase them out after someone has been a client for so many years, or based on any other criteria?

I usually do the reviews during AEP. Most of my clients want to change PDPs more than supps. However, if I know of a large price increase/decrease I will send out a letter to everyone affected. I get mid year/policy anniversary changes that way. If Medicare would change AEP to a rolling birthday month enrollment, we could better serve our clients. Alas, my congress representatives don't care. Bottom line- it's easier to hit all the products at once during AEP.

I know it's a good idea to reach out to your clients approaching AEP just to touch base with them, assist them with Part D, etc. But, how many of you schedule annual reviews with your clients on their policy anniversaries, or at least make the effort to do so? Their rates typically change at this point so it's probably a good idea to review their plan, answer their questions and so forth.

But what about clients you know you can't move like someone who recently had a stroke or someone with systemic lupus? This is more likely to be the case the older they get too. It would seem kind of pointless doing this review well into someone's 70's that has been your client since 65 if you know they'll never pass underwriting with another medsupp carrier. So if you do annual reviews, do you phase them out after someone has been a client for so many years, or based on any other criteria?

Chris,

I use SOC to send a card out on 10/1 automatically to everyone (MAPDs & Supps), asking if they want/need a review & referrals for AEP. I also call anyone whos on a plan that has drastic changes/price increases. Get SOC if u dont already!

The first thing that you need to determine is how much to budget for client retention costs. The next step would be to determine how many "touches" your budget will cover, and lastly, set your priorities.

My first priority would be to contact anyone getting a rate increase.

Next would be AEP. Even though supps aren't effected, your clients are being hit with a barrage of advertising from all angles, and they get the most anxious at this time.

If your retention budget affords a 3rd touch, I would then do policy anniversary or birthday.

Finally, email is free, and medicare beneficiaries are more likely to be frequent email users each and every year.

Back