Another Article on Universal Healthcare

even with this implemented, would Maryland agents still be able to sell the subsidized insurance or would this eliminate the need for health insurance agents?

There's not enough money to provide Universal Healthcare
to everybody. Plus, I heard on one of the news shows last week that there are 60 lobbyist for each Congressman and a large percentage of them are from the insurance industry.

All we really need is a national health plan that anybody can buy into. Something like medicare PFFS but not subsidized. Anybody can buy it, anybody can sell it. It should probably carry enough coverage to help most people stay out of bankruptcy. There's plenty of smart people around who could point out what that coverage needs to be.

Small group insurance is killing small employers. I know of one nursing home whose employee's share of the premium is $800 per month. Then it's still 80% coverage. They had two employees undergoing cancer treatment in the same year. So their premiums went sky high. Most of these workers are paid less than $10/ hr.

I know several small businesses that are dropping group coverage. The younger employees come out OK on individual coverage. However, the folks with pre-exisiting conditions are hurting.

It would only take changes in a few laws to make insurance affordable and accessible for most people who want to pay for it. You're always going to have deadbeats that won't pay for it at any price and still seek free medical care.

Back