Another Hit and Run (sigh)...wat Da?

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ok...i live in a large metropolis in fla. Yesterday, i come out of Restaurant to discover someone has backed up into my car and PUNCHER ED my Rear Bumper.

(dayum)

This is the second time in 2 yrs that this has happened. First time was pretty bad (someone mashed in my front quarter-panel) but this time, its just a punctured bumper (i'm sure its gonna cost some $ to fix though).

QUESTION; NOW i know that a thread was started by Brian about "no-fault" accidents and how drivers who were not charged still experienced rate increases, but WHAT happens in cases like this "where the policy holder" finds damage to their Car and no-one is to be Charged????

Can i expect a Rate Increase???
(if i make another claim)

(dayum)

Last edited:
if you called the cops or have a nice company it will be a not at fault collision. This is a rated loss because the company paid out so odds are you will see a rate increase.

if you called the cops or have a nice company it will be a not at fault collision. This is a rated loss because the company paid out so odds are you will see a rate increase.

Nice Company??? (which insurance company is nice???).

Of course its a NOT-AT-FAULT. ---the question "is"---WILL my rates increase because of this HIT-N-RUN?

Of course its a NOT-AT-FAULT.

Not always! It depends on the company. Companies do things differently as far as how they categorize accidents....

Some companies may simply have two categories: at-fault or not-at-fault.

Other companies will split accidents into several different categories, which depend on the circumstances and the type of damage done (BI and/or PD), and also by the dollar amounts of claims pd ($1000 is the threshold most use to distinguish minor and major).

Many of those companies would classify your incidents as a "non-chargeable accident", which is different from a not-at-fault accident.

"non chargeable" = no increase (at least that's what it's supposed to mean, if the company is being straight forward).

----------

WILL my rates increase because of this HIT-N-RUN?

as you've probably already concluded by the above, it's impossible to answer that question..... Because the answer is: with some companies, yes.... with other companies, no.... and some companies may fall in between, and let you slide on the first one and charge you for the second.... Each company is different.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's the reality.

You won't know the answer to that until you get close to your policy's expiration date, and receive a renewal offer.

So be prepared for an increase at renewal. it may or may not happen.... But be ready to shop around if they do.

One last thing and this is VERY IMPORTANT! ..... make damn sure you keep all the documentation safe and handy regarding both of those incidents. This includes police reports, crash reports, claims reports, or anything else that shows you were parked and not operating the vehicle at the time..... You will probably need to show this documentation more than once in the next five years.

Not always! It depends on the company. Companies do things differently as far as how they categorize accidents....

Some companies may simply have two categories: at-fault or not-at-fault.

Other companies will split accidents into several different categories, which depend on the circumstances and the type of damage done (BI and/or PD), and also by the dollar amounts of claims pd ($1000 is the threshold most use to distinguish minor and major).

Many of those companies would classify your incidents as a "non-chargeable accident", which is different from a not-at-fault accident.

"non chargeable" = no increase (at least that's what it's supposed to mean, if the company is being straight forward).

----------

as you've probably already concluded by the above, it's impossible to answer that question..... Because the answer is: with some companies, yes.... with other companies, no.... and some companies may fall in between, and let you slide on the first one and charge you for the second.... Each company is different.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's the reality.

You won't know the answer to that until you get close to your policy's expiration date, and receive a renewal offer.

So be prepared for an increase at renewal. it may or may not happen.... But be ready to shop around if they do.

One last thing and this is VERY IMPORTANT! ..... make damn sure you keep all the documentation safe and handy regarding both of those incidents. This includes police reports, crash reports, claims reports, or anything else that shows you were parked and not operating the vehicle at the time..... You will probably need to show this documentation more than once in the next five years.

Woah...wait a minute.---->Correct me if i am wrong, So you mean if "someone is moving or standing still" (the car is running) and they get side-swiped by another vehicle,---that's looked upon differently that is "someone is just parked?"

thanks?

.m

if a car is moving, then it would be a not at fault.

if a car is parked, then a company will either classify it as a not at fault or a non-chargeable accident, depending on the company. not all companies have non-chargeable accidents as a classification.

Back