Another Lead Scam?: Data-1

DecisionMan

Guru
100+ Post Club
Michigan
Remember roimarketing.biz and the other companies that supposedly get qualified leads through billing stuffers?

I got a marketing call today from a very well-spoken telemarketer for Data1 (website Data-1 | More Selling, Less Searching) with the exact same pitch: Plenty of exclusive leads in my area from mailer stuffers that people return.

For $12 per name I’d get an exclusive lead list including all sorts of data, along with a copy of the ad they responded to.

However – I would not get a copy of the actual returned mailer with the prospect’s information.

They even said the phone numbers were scrubbed against the DNC list. Now, why would one need to have numbers scrubbed if they’re voluntarily provided by the prospect who returned the mailer?

Further, the specific demographics listed are straight off what you’d give a list broker to do a sort.

So I asked how long the telemarketer worked for Data1 and she said “as long as we’ve been open which is four years.” When I said I’m not interested because this is the exact same scam of reselling an Experian list for a huge mark-up the lady said "I have other people to call" and immediately hung up on me. That’s all one really needs to know.

A long time ago I got caught up with ROIMarketing with the same scam. Since I buy Experian lists with phone only for a specific demographic, it was funny when a lady I called from the ROI list said “you just called me a few days ago!” So when I checked the ROI list against my two-month old Experian list I found a number of exact duplicates in the exact order! What a coincidence that the exact same people responded to these billing stuffers.

Data-1 has quite a detailed website. I don’t know if any of the other material is a scam either, or just web filler. All I know is that the script is the same, with no way to verify the validity of the mailer responses.

They purchased the domain name on March 25th 2012. They offer both voice broadcasting and fax blasting, both of which are illegal.

Domain information is private. Draw your own conclusions.

Their address is a virtual office - Intelligent Office.

"I got a marketing call today" - first red flare.

"For $12 per name I’d get an exclusive lead list" - A fool and his money are soon parted.

Back