Another Medicare Advantage Plan Has Left the Building.

Trent

I am sure this is old news, but Aetna is no longer accepting applications for their Medicare Advantage PFFS plan effective 8-1-2009.

So far Anthem Blue Cross is gone, Aetna, Wellcare and there is one more company that I forget their name that will be leaving in 2010

I am sure this is old news, but Aetna is no longer accepting applications for their Medicare Advantage PFFS plan effective 8-1-2009.

So far Anthem Blue Cross is gone, Aetna, Wellcare and there is one more company that I forget their name that will be leaving in 2010

Aetna, Anthem, Wellcare abd Coventry have all left the PFFS business, not the MA business.

Aetna said they are no longer marketing PFFS through their broker channel, not that they no longer offer it. My guess is that it's history, but they have not said that.

Health Net said bye bye after this year, as has Coventry. I thought Anthem dropped the plan before this year but I might be wrong.

Wellcare is a pile of crap company. They have dropped their PFFS plan and I hope they wind up being bought out and have their upper and middle management team collecting welfare (and I'm holding back).

Webopinion was used in this post
Websarcasm was not used

Rick

I think the current trends in MA's and PFFS's in particular is unfortunate. True, they could be a bane if you were trying to sell in regular Med Supp, but there was a portion of the population that was ideally served by these plans. However, in recent years congress has made it increasingly obvious that they didn't like the plans (it has been estimate that they cost the government 17% more than regular Medicare plans) and they have now made it unprofitable enough that the big players are all getting out of the business.
Do you suppose this is just a way to push us towards nationalized health care?

Do you suppose this is just a way to push us towards nationalized health care?

Huh? Medicare is ALREADY nationalized health care.

While I don't sell MAPD, I like them for those who can't get a Med Supp due to cost or UW.

My hope is that IF the government dumps MA that they will creat a SEP (say six month) for those on MA to buy GI Supps. That would be a good market, at least in my area. YMMV.

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency: Honesty and Integrity

So far Anthem Blue Cross is gone... will be leaving in 2010

Wellcare / Anthem / Unicare have stopped selling since January 2009 by order of CMS. They are still holding out as far as exiting the 2010 PFFS market. I've seen nothing to indicate they are walking away, yet!

My source from Aetna said that they let the news come out ill prepared and now are trying to tone it down. So they will say BS like "Aetna has filed with CMS 2010 PFFS plans". Yet, they are out and there will be "NO" in house sales of 2010 PFFS plans. They have removed the online app & materials from their consumer website. Aetna's PFFS plans are toast.

Still the lions share of PFFS (>90% in many counties) is Wellcare, United Healthcare, and or Humana. None of these major players have said they are out.

Wellcare / Anthem / Unicare have stopped selling since January 2009 by order of CMS. They are still holding out as far as exiting the 2010 PFFS market. I've seen nothing to indicate they are walking away, yet!

My source from Aetna said that they let the news come out ill prepared and now are trying to tone it down. So they will say BS like "Aetna has filed with CMS 2010 PFFS plans". Yet, they are out and there will be "NO" in house sales of 2010 PFFS plans. They have removed the online app & materials from their consumer website. Aetna's PFFS plans are toast.

Still the lions share of PFFS (>90% in many counties) is Wellcare, United Healthcare, and or Humana. None of these major players have said they are out.

Wellcare has notified all the agents, and I am one, that they are not going to offer PFFS for 2010. They say they are staying the HMO/PPO and PDP market, but, not the PFFS. They did not file a plan for PFFS for 2010 with CMS.

This thread talks about who is out but doesn't mention who is still in. One of the bigger carriers still in the MA PFFS space is CIGNA. In fact, they've already shared their 2010 plan filing with producers and appear to be aggressively pursuing the PFFS business.

Back