Another Newbie Needing Some Help

Jay22

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jay and let me first start off by saying this is a great place to get information and I'm thankful to have found this forum! I have just a couple quick questions:

1. What would you say is the main reason for the negative comments about gettting into this business? (While I'm sure somewhere there may be a thread on this, I would appreciate any updated answers you'd be willing to share)

2. Is contacting family/friends for perspective clients a smart way to go when starting out?

Thanks again for viewing and I look forward to your comments!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jay and let me first start off by saying this is a great place to get information and I'm thankful to have found this forum! I have just a couple quick questions:

1. What would you say is the main reason for the negative comments about gettting into this business? (While I'm sure somewhere there may be a thread on this, I would appreciate any updated answers you'd be willing to share)

2. Is contacting family/friends for perspective clients a smart way to go when starting out?

Thanks again for viewing and I look forward to your comments!

This is a career and not a job. Most new agents dont understand what it takes to make it in this business. This is a very hard business.

This is a career and not a job. Most new agents dont understand what it takes to make it in this business. This is a very hard business.

I have a job and am looking for a career so that's a plus in my book. Could you elaborate though as to what you feel is the most important quality/skill someone needs to be successful? Also, what do you find to be the most difficult thing about the business if you had to name one?

My mentor once told me that to be successful in this biz I have to believe in my product. So, I believe if one can't do that, why bother doing it? There is nothing easy about getting started in the retail insurance business when you start from scratch. When I began, I was a full-time student and had two other jobs (Ugh, that brings back some difficult memories). Fortunately for me, I found a mentor to take me under his wing and teach me the ropes. He also encouraged me to become an insurance technician and the sales would follow. I think most people / business owners appreciate someone who knows what they are talking about over a slick sales presentation. I stuck with it and, 18 years later, have a great insurance practice today. The insurance business is an awesome opportunity.

I have a job and am looking for a career so that's a plus in my book. Could you elaborate though as to what you feel is the most important quality/skill someone needs to be successful? Also, what do you find to be the most difficult thing about the business if you had to name one?

Most of the Guru's on here didnt start off being successful. They just didnt give up. They kept going and made up their minds they would do whatever it took to make it. They were not afraid of trial and error. You must find a way to get in front of people.

Oops, and to more specifically answer your questions:

1. This is an amazing business. Do not let detractors discourage you.

2. Yes, friends and family are good prospects, but be very careful. Do not hard sell them. In my opinion, it is best to simply let them know what you do in casual conversation. They will come to you when they are ready. If you push too hard, you may find friends and family feeling uncomfortable and even start to avoid you. There are many indirect ways to approach them, but I think a casual and indirect approach is best. It can take some time with this approach, but be patient. (Some will disagree with me, but that's okay. We all have our own style.)

Thanks to both of you. I'm 36 years old and have a decent paying job BUT I dread waking up to go to work every morning b/c I know what's in store. I don't want to feel that way any more. I have a wife and 2 young children so I am VERY nervous about the drastic change of income that will happen if/when I begin. I have heard from quite a few people that the struggle is pretty much a given at the start (full commission, no salary in my case) but the income potential is huge. I have some college under my belt but no degree. I don't think I have the mindset to go back & finish either. I want a better life for my wife & kids and that will drive me every day.

This isnt a job, this isnt a career, this is a BUSINESS!

Totally different......

This isnt a job, this isnt a career, this is a BUSINESS!

Totally different......

Exactly, this is a business. Your product happens to be insurance and recruiters try to make it look like a job because most people, despite what they say, want a job, not a business. If you walk into this like a business, with a business plan, startup money, research, etc, the whole thing runs a great deal more smoothly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks to both of you. I'm 36 years old and have a decent paying job BUT I dread waking up to go to work every morning b/c I know what's in store. I don't want to feel that way any more. I have a wife and 2 young children so I am VERY nervous about the drastic change of income that will happen if/when I begin. I have heard from quite a few people that the struggle is pretty much a given at the start (full commission, no salary in my case) but the income potential is huge. I have some college under my belt but no degree. I don't think I have the mindset to go back & finish either. I want a better life for my wife & kids and that will drive me every day.

Based on the above, I don't think this is the right move for you. The overwhelming majority of agents fail and it's an awfully big risk. Even the ones that are "successful", usually have to wait three years to make any real money, and they're definitely the exception.

To put this another way, would you leave your current job if someone said there was a 5% chance at a new job you would make more money, 5% chance you'd be about the same, and a 90% chance you'd end up wasting your time and money to end up behind where you would have been if you stayed where you were at? That's the offer here. Unless you have a phenomenal business plan and a great marketing budget along with great support, odds are you'll be the 90%. If you want to have extra money for your family, you might be better off just finding a second job.

Last edited:
Jay..welcome to the forum. I had a different career and switched to insurance for another career... it takes alot of discipline. I've seen alot of agents come and go and it's because they get discouraged easy and lack the discipline to commit themselves to this business as a career i.e. lead generation each and every day, learning each and every day, not getting discouraged with no-calls, no-shows and no apps.

In regards to approaching family and friends... casually and tactfully. I was at a business function not too long ago socializing and having a grand time, this girl came up to me and introduced herself and I enjoyed the small talk for a minute... then very awkwardly just a couple minutes into the conversation said she was a realtor and ask if I needed a realtor. Kudos for asking... but timing and presentation was all wrong.

Each "no" is an opportunity to learn, find a way not to do something and do it right. If done right, you can make good money, have alot of flexibility in your schedule and create a business that works for you. You can do it!

Back