Answering beneficiary questionnaire.

Amblin

Hi.

My now deceased mother purchased a life insurance policy Jan 2018. She passed Nov 2018 due to cancer. The policy was bought within 2 years so they are reviewing the claim. The questionnaire is asking questions I do not have concise answers to, such as:

"When did the insured first consult a physician for the illness?"
"Names and addresses of all physicians or practitioners who attended the insured during the past five years?"
"Names and addresses of all hospitals or institutions where the insured the insured was treated during the past five years?"
"Were any medications prescribed by a physician? - If yes, please indicate the name and address of the drug store where the prescription was filled, who filled them....etc...."

I know who treated her for her cancer, about when she stated she was feeling ill, that is about it. What is the best way to answer this questionnaire when there is a lack of answers? Can I write "unknown"?

Condolences on the death of your mother.

WinoBlues is right. The more information you can provide, the less time it will take the contestability investigator to complete his work.

Go through her medical insurance and Medicare records. Her EOBs (explanations of benefits) should give you the names of her doctors and hospitals. Go through her medications and provide a list of the pharmacies, the doctors, and the medications. Go through her checking account and see if she wrote checks to any medical providers not reflected anywhere else.

Keep in mind that a contestable death investigation is conducted not just to determine if she was diagnosed with cancer before taking out the policy but also to determine if she withheld ANY fact that was material to the underwriting of the policy.

When you surrendered the policy to the insurance company did you make a photocopy? If you did, you'll note that the application is part of the policy and could provide you with answer to some of the questions.

Condolences on the death of your mother.

WinoBlues is right. The more information you can provide, the less time it will take the contestability investigator to complete his work.

Go through her medical insurance and Medicare records. Her EOBs (explanations of benefits) should give you the names of her doctors and hospitals. Go through her medications and provide a list of the pharmacies, the doctors, and the medications. Go through her checking account and see if she wrote checks to any medical providers not reflected anywhere else.

Keep in mind that a contestable death investigation is conducted not just to determine if she was diagnosed with cancer before taking out the policy but also to determine if she withheld ANY fact that was material to the underwriting of the policy.

When you surrendered the policy to the insurance company did you make a photocopy? If you did, you'll note that the application is part of the policy and could provide you with answer to some of the questions.

Good call on the copy of the app. Since I keep all apps and parameds I forgetting that part.

Contact the writing agents. He/she should have a copy. Should be involved in the claim anyway.

Back