100+ Post Club
ANTHEM REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER AND FULL YEAR 2015 RESULTS

They actually look pretty good...
See attached

Attachments

• ANTM 4Q15 Earnings Release - Final.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
Not when you look at ACA segment only.
They also lost money on this dog, and lost members too.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/art...ntent=20160127-NEWS-301279998&utm_campaign=am

Anthem's individual ACA plans hammer Q4 profit
By Bob Herman | January 27, 2016
Health insurer Anthem reported much lower profit in the final quarter of 2015 mostly because it had to pay out a lot more in claims for its individual market members.

Anthem, like other insurers, grappled with a tougher-than-expected second year in the Affordable Care Act's exchanges. People who signed up for coverage turned out to be sicker than originally thought. But the Indianapolis-based giant still posted hefty profits on the year, indicating that government-sponsored business continues to buoy insurer profits.

Fourth-quarter earnings dropped 64% to $180.9 million, Anthem said Wednesday. Total revenue in the three-month period rose 6.3% to almost $20.2 billion, giving Anthem a slim fourth-quarter margin of 0.9%. The boost to revenue mostly stemmed from Anthem's growing Medicaid business and self-insured employers.
-------------
The company lost 118,000 individual members in the fourth quarter, but the figure was not broken down between on- and off-exchange members. Anthem lost thousands of exchange members in the third quarter as well. CEO Joseph Swedish said at the time many consumers were moving to competitors' plans due to "unsustainable pricing."

^^^----Is the part that I was interested in. Large Carriers whom are involved with Medicare and Medicaid along with Commercial lines are profiting.

I used to side with the health insurers.. Now I'm rooting for Bernie Sanders to put them out of business..

Please tell me you're kidding.

NO.. I AM NOT KIDDING. The S.O.B.'s started cutting our commissions even before the ink dried on the Affordable Care Act! (Go back and read the old posts from 2010).

With the exception of BCBS-IL, every health insurer I've been affiliated with, has continued to regularly trim back commissions further and further from 2010 to today.

I was totally appalled after pulling up United Healthcare's latest commission contract and seeing a sea of 0% commission rates for almost every state in the union.

As CadyLou pointed out earlier today in this thread, Anthem is promising shareholders that they'll help preserve their share values and dividends by cutting back even further on Agent commissions.

I prefer TrumpCare...where the old system returns for the healthy and a high-risk pool is instituted for the unhealthy.

But after experiencing how health insurers kick agents to the curb before trimming other costs, a large part of me now wants to see them, their shareholders and board of directors, put out to pasture. The employees will easily get better paying, less stressful jobs elsewhere.
-ac

Not when you look at ACA segment only.
They also lost money on this dog, and lost members too.

They still made money on exchange plans, but less than before:

"Despite the lagging membership growth, Anthem is still turning a profit on the exchange plans, Chief financial officer Wayne DeVeydt said on the call. However, the exchange margins are running below Anthem's 3% to 5% goal."

They still made money on exchange plans, but less than before:

"Despite the lagging membership growth, Anthem is still turning a profit on the exchange plans, Chief financial officer Wayne DeVeydt said on the call. However, the exchange margins are running below Anthem's 3% to 5% goal."

Wait until the lapses from healthy people start rolling in. CMS is going on a bigger subsidy-cancellation binge this year than it did in 2015. Those subsidy cancellations will cause healthy people to drop their policy like a hot tater. Remember, healthy people's premiums are what pays the medical bills of sick and injured customers.

Back