Any advice about starting with seminars?

Nicolacrayola

Expert
One of my coworkers and I are transitioning from a large life insurance IMO to annuity seminars on our own. We both did very well in insurance but the quality of leads has degraded greatly, and we don’t appreciate the behavior of others in our hierarchy. I learned annuities by myself but have an excellent closing rate and once I found money at a life appointment I was typically able to transfer the entire thing to an annuity- it was exceedingly rare for that not to be the case and all of my business made it to IP. We are mostly worried about GETTING the prospects to the individual appt and figuring out there best location for the seminar, as well as engaging the group at the dinner. We purchased a $1200 seminar training system from insurance pro shop and they are being very gracious about offering mentorship as well as help on what form to hire for the prospect lists/invitations/etc, but that’s different from hearing from real agents on the ground. I am also getting my series 65 for another venture I have been invited to down the line with another coworker so will be able to use those products as well. Thoughts?

Antonio Filippone (a mentee of Lew and Jeremy Nason and an MDRT Top of the Table agent and advisor) uses both adult education workshops at colleges as well as seminars to fill the room.

To do that, he's lately been recommending this firm to help with the marketing:
Financial Seminar Services

I have not personally used them, but based on Tony Filippone and how sincere of a guy he is, I'd have to say they should be worth giving them a call.

Just know that the majority of the people who attend your free seminar are there for the lunch or dinner served

Just know that the majority of the people who attend your free seminar are there for the lunch or dinner served

And everyone who takes the free 3-day vacation wants to hear the time-share sales pitch?

There's enough interest to sit through the meal to hear and moderately pay attention... may be worth working with.

There are more fun ways to spend a couple of hours than volunteering to attend a free steak dinner presentation if you don't have any interest in the topic.

I'm not going to vouch for this organization because I have never personally used them but I was just at an Athene due diligence meeting in San Diego and they were a speaker.

I talked with 3 different agents/advisors at the dinner that night who use them and are very happy with the results. They're not going to come cheap but may be worth a look:

MEG Homepage

I talked with 3 different agents/advisors at the dinner that night who use them and are very happy with the results. They're not going to come cheap but may be worth a look:

Maybe 10 years ago I interviewed with a local agency (actually a branch office) for a position in their seminar program. Very slick presentation. If "Wolf of Wall Street" made a movie for annuity sales this would be their model.

Entry fee was high. Around $10k as I recall which included $3k for equipment $2k for training modules and $5k for "leads".

This was back when $10k was a lot of money . . .

You were expected to commit to one seminar every 6 weeks.

If I had $10k to blow I decided there were better choices vs betting on the come.

As I recall, this company got in a lot of trouble a few years later. Seems like it was along the lines of selling securities without a license.

I don't remember the name of the company. Some of the smart guys who have played the annuities game for a few years may know who this is.

Please raise your hand and asked to be recognized before blurting out the name.

Last edited:
They have people doing 50-100/yr (1-2/wk). Of course, the numbers sounded great in terms of production but it sounded like too much of a grind, even for the money.

Thanks for the feedback.

This firms seminars expected 20 - 25 attendees. Reps expected to close 70% of those in attendance. They made good money but you were in the hole 4 - 6 months which was also too rich for my blood.

The whole thing seemed sleezy to me on top of the outlay.

I guess the SEC agreed . . .

Back