Any Advice for a Noob at Selling Life?

Doesntkare

Sorry, first time to the site. I recently took a job working for New York Life in a new town in Mississippi and to say I'm struggling is an understatement. It's my first job out of college and I really don't want to fail. The area I live in is very poor and I don't have a lot of personal contacts here. So everyone I talk to is a person I've never met. Most say they have life insurance through their work. Any advice/pitches that I could use would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what a good pitch is for walking into businesses or whom to speak with at a business. I've considered calling the courthouse and seeing if I could get public records for marriages in the last year and maybe births too and contacting those people. Would a courthouse give me those and is that a good idea?

Ask them what happens when they lose their job or retire. That should at least get them thinking. You can also have them think about what has happened when a friend or family member has had someone die suddenly or unexpectedly and how much of a mess that may have been.

Just find a better way to present that to them and if you have a personal story to illustrate the point tell that.

Sorry, first time to the site. I recently took a job working for New York Life in a new town in Mississippi and to say I'm struggling is an understatement. It's my first job out of college and I really don't want to fail. The area I live in is very poor and I don't have a lot of personal contacts here. So everyone I talk to is a person I've never met. Most say they have life insurance through their work. Any advice/pitches that I could use would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what a good pitch is for walking into businesses or whom to speak with at a business. I've considered calling the courthouse and seeing if I could get public records for marriages in the last year and maybe births too and contacting those people. Would a courthouse give me those and is that a good idea?

That does not sound like New York Life country. If it is a poor area the few true prospects are being hunted by much more experienced life insurance agents.

Sounds more like FE country. Ben Bowman is in Mississippi, SPUR CITY was with NYL both seem to be strength shooters. Talk to them.

Welcome to the forum!

There's a "Guidance for new life agents" thread pinned in the Getting Started forum.

Sorry, first time to the site. I recently took a job working for New York Life in a new town in Mississippi and to say I'm struggling is an understatement. It's my first job out of college and I really don't want to fail. The area I live in is very poor and I don't have a lot of personal contacts here. So everyone I talk to is a person I've never met. Most say they have life insurance through their work. Any advice/pitches that I could use would be greatly appreciated.

Great! May I ask how much insurance you have?

And how long would that insurance last for your family?

And then what would they do?

Is that what you want to have happen?

I'm not sure what a good pitch is for walking into businesses or whom to speak with at a business. I've considered calling the courthouse and seeing if I could get public records for marriages in the last year and maybe births too and contacting those people. Would a courthouse give me those and is that a good idea?

The problem with businesses... is that it can be a lengthy process. It can be done, but you need to be profitable today, not six months from now.

Look at this post from a guy who's doing fairly well targeting a specific occupation:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...cussions/target-market-occupation-t72319.html

As far as public records go, I've never tried that.

Here's the thing: Your post shows that you're looking for someone in a particular time in their life. This means that you're trying to be an 'opportunist' rather than a strategist. If you have to do this for every sale, you're going to burn out and leave the industry - I guarantee it.

Instead, think about who your ideal profile of a client is.
- What is their age range?
- Income range?
- Marital status? Children?
- Resident: Homeowner or Renter?
- Geography? Where do they live or work?

Now, what kinds of PROBLEMS can you help them solve using your products and services?

If you don't really know where to start on this, I would suggest reviewing our industry's LIMRA 'Facts about Life'. They are our industry marketing association.

My favorite one that they've released was in 2013:
http://www.limra.com/uploadedFiles/limracom/Posts/PR/LIAM/PDF/Facts-Life-2013.pdf

Other Financial Priorities Compete with Life Insurance
 “Everyday expenses” such as energy costs, food, clothing and transportation
were cited by more than half of consumers surveyed as limits on ability to save for financial goals.

They need help to find the money.

 When surveyed on financial issues, “money for a comfortable retirement” was the top pick of 67 percent of consumers. By contrast, concerns that life
insurance coverage traditionally addresses (such as premature death, funeral
expenses and leaving an inheritance) registered as a top priority for less than
40 percent of consumers surveyed.

Whey want help to find the money to fund their retirement, not necessarily to buy life insurance.

 Consumers who believe they need life insurance, 86 percent haven’t bought it because they think it is too expensive.

Help them find the money and they won't think it's too expensive.

 Middle-income consumers are more concerned with reducing debt and having more money for retirement than other income groups

Help them find the money to reduce debt and save more for retirement.

If you need help in tailoring your marketing message towards these points, I would suggest checking out the Insurance Pro Shop and signing up for their member's only site and viewing their video training. It's only $25/month.

http://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

But once you've figured out your ideal demographic, your message, and how to help people... the business gets far easier and more profitable.

Where can you get a list of these people in your area? Josh on the forum owns ListShack - and you can subscribe for access to list generation service for $50/month. ListShack.com | Unlimited Sales Leads

Welcome to the forum!

There's a "Guidance for new life agents" thread pinned in the Getting Started forum.

Great! May I ask how much insurance you have?

And how long would that insurance last for your family?

And then what would they do?

Is that what you want to have happen?

The problem with businesses... is that it can be a lengthy process. It can be done, but you need to be profitable today, not six months from now.

Look at this post from a guy who's doing fairly well targeting a specific occupation:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...cussions/target-market-occupation-t72319.html

As far as public records go, I've never tried that.

Here's the thing: Your post shows that you're looking for someone in a particular time in their life. This means that you're trying to be an 'opportunist' rather than a strategist. If you have to do this for every sale, you're going to burn out and leave the industry - I guarantee it.

Instead, think about who your ideal profile of a client is.
- What is their age range?
- Income range?
- Marital status? Children?
- Resident: Homeowner or Renter?
- Geography? Where do they live or work?

Now, what kinds of PROBLEMS can you help them solve using your products and services?

If you don't really know where to start on this, I would suggest reviewing our industry's LIMRA 'Facts about Life'. They are our industry marketing association.

My favorite one that they've released was in 2013:
http://www.limra.com/uploadedFiles/limracom/Posts/PR/LIAM/PDF/Facts-Life-2013.pdf

If you need help in tailoring your marketing message towards these points, I would suggest checking out the Insurance Pro Shop and signing up for their member's only site and viewing their video training. It's only $25/month.

http://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

But once you've figured out your ideal demographic, your message, and how to help people... the business gets far easier and more profitable.

Where can you get a list of these people in your area? Josh on the forum owns ListShack - and you can subscribe for access to list generation service for $50/month. ListShack.com | Unlimited Sales Leads

That is probably his biggest problem.

Back