Any Experiences with Insuring a Client with Rheumatoid Arthritis

EBC-MO

A friend of mine was asking for help on trying to place a prospective client with an individual health insurance policy who has rheumatoid arthritis. He seems to think she is uninsurable, but I thought I would post here for him.

The client is a 37 year old female.

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

Is the client from MO, too? Humana will decline RA everywhere but Florida (weird). Assurant maaaaaaaaaay let you get by with a condition-specific deductible, but they list it as a possible decline as well.

Can't think of a single carrier that will touch her. Do you have any idea how much a 30 day supply of Enbrel runs?

Try $1650.

So what happens if you write someone who is healthy today, buys a plan with a $5k Rx cap, and develops RA later?

Send them a get well card . . .

If you live in a state where Rx benefits are capped, you would be wise to sell them a lump sum CI plan for at least $50k.

Last edited:
Can't think of a single carrier that will touch her. Do you have any idea how much a 30 day supply of Enbrel runs?

Try $1650.

So what happens if you write someone who is healthy today, buys a plan with a $5k Rx cap, and develops RA later?

Send them a get well card . . .

or write them a mini med.....

Assurant will take her depending on the specifics...count on a 25K+ CSD if available in your state, if not a rider. Assurant only flat declines juvenile.

Could have sworn you have said in the past you would never ask a client to sign a rider. Must have been some other guy . . .

Since Time is never competitive here, I never even bother to look at their guide any more. When I do, it is for something they want to rider that no one else will even consider an issue.

Good to know they will take an RA with a rider. No one else here will, including those that that offer riders. Next time I get an RA client I hope I remember to suggest Time.

And to think I blew off their HO rep a few weeks ago and told him never to call me again as it was a total waste of his time and mine.

Back