Any good books on how to sell life/annuities?

Aug 13, 2007

Tags:
  1. Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel New Member

So, I'm brand spankin' new to insurance. I jumped through the hoops, got my licensing and agency. Now I need to figure out what I'm doing.

I intend to focus on retirement planning and am wondering if anyone knows of a good read to educate myself on tax laws and how to position products?

Sales techniques are relatively easy to find. What I want to do is become an expert in the tax law without reading the actual code. But I need a book that does more than just that. I would like something that discusses product as it relates to retirement planning.

Also, I need assistance with how to protect myself from crossing the line in discussing annuities, so I don't fall afoul of safe harbor rules.

Thanks.

2. arnguy

arnguy Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Carpal Tunnel, National Underwriters has an extensive list of books they publish on various insurance subjects. Check their website. You may wish to check amazon.com for books on insurance and retirement.:)

arnguy, Aug 13, 2007
  3. David C

David C Guru

I second that. NU is a great resource!

David C, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel New Member

Thanks. I've looked at their website.

Which book would you recommend first? Is there a 'bible' for selling life/annuities?

5. bluemarlin08

bluemarlin08 Guru

The best "Bible" for selling anything is at the feet of an honest, successfull agent that has been doing this for years. You will never learn from books.

6. James

James Guru

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but this is a good online source for reading about Annuities and Life Ins. from a certain perspective.

Life Insurance Perspectives

James, Aug 16, 2007
  7. policy doctor

policy doctor Guru

State:
    Georgia
    That is a great link, James. Thanks. Read his article about premium financing, and he expressed what I sensed.

Heard the book to read now is: Sitting on Your Assets.

8. Sir Ringo

Sir Ringo Expert

Here is one book my broker gave us as recommended reading by Ed Slott,

The Retirement Savings Time Bomb .... and how to defuse it. Great read especially if your into annuities or retirement accounts. I used the book to land a very nice commission, and it was a fixed EIA. I loaned the book to my prospect and a week later we did a very nice rollover, and annuities is not my lead plan, maybe then but not now.

9. James

James Guru

Yea, Ed Slott is consider by most the foremost authority on IRA's and the like.

Snippet of his opening statements at this lecture or Q&A's,

Ed Slott

James, Aug 18, 2007