Any Indy P&C Agents in Pittsburgh Expanding?

pghman

Expert
PA
Hi,

I am currently captive with a small company (for 4 months) and have decided that I need to make a move. I am licensed in both life/health and P&C but I am not getting the necessary training to make it on my own. My training consists of contact those on your project 150 and cold call. I have contacted the 150 but refuse to ruin my relationships to make a manager money and have next to no sucess cold calling.

I really enjoy helping people with their insurance especially on the P&C side of things. I am fine with discussing life with those who are interested but I will not use the scare tactics that are suggested to me and I don't have a book to cross sell at this point.

Representing the client's best interest really appeals to me! I am not in this business to be a millionaire (although that would be an enjoyable side effect :biggrin:). My bank account is getting close to empty so I think working for someone else would be in my best interest. Any ideas, help, opinions are welcome and much appreciated!

what captive are you selling?.are you getting base + commission? stop at a few other p&c agency's. in the area. introduce yourself.. just say you wanted to meet your fellow agents.. don't tell them your problems, be upbeat. someone will offer you a job...

what captive are you selling?.are you getting base + commission? stop at a few other p&c agency's. in the area. introduce yourself.. just say you wanted to meet your fellow agents.. don't tell them your problems, be upbeat. someone will offer you a job...

Thanks B61 for your reply!

Although I really prefer not to say who I am captive with I will say that they focus on financial and life more than P&C. I do not get a base but I get commisions of around $150 per P&C agreement BUT they are paid as interest free advance that I must pay back with renewals over time (if I walk away then I don't have to pay it back). Life commisions vary but range from 50%-90%.

I am an upbeat person and I hope I didn't come across as negative, I am just throughly frustrated. Just to make sure I understand your suggestion correctly, I should just pop in and introduce myself as a fellow agent but not mention that I am looking for a different career choice?

pghman I'm willing to bet you're with ANPAC based on what you're describing. I've been with them for 2 years and am thinking of bailing myself because I'm on the exact same AAA agreement. If you don't want to answer here could you email me at [email protected]. I'm not sure if I have enough posts for PM yet. Maybe find a P&C agency to partner with on a commission split.

Hi,

Representing the client's best interest really appeals to me!

This right here tells me you need to go Indy. If your true passion is custom fitting the client with the right insurance plan, then you need to have different options for all the different clients and prospects you'll encounter.

When your captive this is not possible in most cases.

pghman I'm willing to bet you're with ANPAC based on what you're describing. I've been with them for 2 years and am thinking of bailing myself because I'm on the exact same AAA agreement. If you don't want to answer here could you email me at [email protected]. I'm not sure if I have enough posts for PM yet. Maybe find a P&C agency to partner with on a commission split.

I guess you can't keep a good secret hidden these days.. haha. Yes, you are correct. As far as find a commision split scenario, it doesn't make much sense to me unless there was a base salary and/or leads provided to me. Otherwise I might as well go indy and fight the same battle but keep all of the commision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This right here tells me you need to go Indy. If your true passion is custom fitting the client with the right insurance plan, then you need to have different options for all the different clients and prospects you'll encounter.

When your captive this is not possible in most cases.

Thanks for the reply BT. I agree totally but don't know how to do so with so little experience. You already know what independent company that I would absolutely love to represent if possible (from my PM the other day). I guess I just have to figure out how to make it happen.

Last edited:
I guess you can't keep a good secret hidden these days.. haha. Yes, you are correct. As far as find a commision split scenario, it doesn't make much sense to me unless there was a base salary and/or leads provided to me. Otherwise I might as well go indy and fight the same battle but keep all of the commision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the reply BT. I agree totally but don't know how to do so with so little experience. You already know what independent company that I would absolutely love to represent if possible (from my PM the other day). I guess I just have to figure out how to make it happen.

Well, gentlemen, I was with ANPAC for 10 years. Left in June. Indy is definitely the way to go. I won't do the captive thing again.

Pg...you may want to try and find out who the DSM is in your area. If you can, that is the guy to help you get a foot in the door.

DSM??? Is that the same as the local branch office? If not, any ideas how I may track them down? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks a bunch.

DSM district sales manager or TSM territory sales manager. Just call to find out who is the dsm or TSM and start calling to introduce yourself.

Back