Any Medigap insurance companies withdrawing from your State?

Spud

Expert
Hi, is anyone else seeing insurance companies pull out of their markets? 7 so far this year in Idaho.
the Idaho legislature is requiring insurance companies to offer their Medigap plans to Medicare eligible pre 65 on 1/1/2018...and on that date insurance companies can no longer selectively raise rates on some/part of the plans they offer; one rate increase applies to all plans they offer in the state. Anyone else seeing this in their markets?

This happened in GA a few years ago with similar legislation. Under 65/disabled is a money loser. Can't recall how many carriers withdrew but don't think it was many.

U65 rates are crazy. Many of the F plans here exceed $1,000 per month. Commissions are zilch.

I got used to U65 Medicare selling in CA., I just assumed all states required carriers to write disabled people. Obviously I learned this was not the case years ago. Since Medicare is a government program (albeit unconstitutional) I find it to be anti-consumer to not allow and require supplements for U65.

Of course in CA many carriers price their underage supplements through the room. And obviously once IEP/ICEP is over no one under 65 will pass underwriting without a GI period available. But the rates are not out of line with several carriers, most notably UHC. And given that all are on disability it's really not prices out of line.

Rick

Back