Any MGAs in Texas for Personal Lines?

JenOlson

Hello everyone. Thanks to members on this forum, I've been able to connect with some great MGAs for commercial lines...but I am still looking for an MGA that offers access to standard/admitted carriers for homeowners and personal auto in Texas.

I prefer to not join a cluster or sign any kind of non-compete, but if anyone has had a really good experience with one, then I would love to know. Looking forward to hearing any recommendations below or PM.

Thanks!

Why an MGA? No Ownership. Lousy commission split on base. No overrides or Profit share agreements. Can't take business with you.

What have you heard about Clusters or groups that turns you off?

I guess the main reason is because they allow ownership. I don't mind lower commission in the beginning when just getting started. Unless I am mistaken myself, you can actually take business with you, and there aren't any non-competes.

Turn off about clusters (and I may be completely incorrect with some of these, and I hope you or anyone else can correct me if I am wrong) - Don't get to own the book 100%, 2-year non-competes after exit, some have minimum production requirements (this wouldn't be an issue, but at least going through an MGA you don't have to worry about this), restrictions on selling business to who you want, not guaranteed to get access to the carriers they have and that you may need (what would be the point of being bound to a contract with a cluster if they can't guarantee access for you with a carrier that you need?).

I understand clusters need to have these contracts in place, as they do provide significant value, but I am not sure if it is better than going through an MGA where there are no strings attached or difficult contracts to worry about.

Clusters and aggregators are far ranging in spectrum. There are overpriced and overbearing ones out there and some great values who will kickstart your agency without taking you to the cleaners. They are NOT created equal!
Bottom line, you can do it all on your own, you can build an agency from scratch... if anyone tells you different send em my name because I did... that said... why wait 10 years to develop a solid high paying and high bonusing carrier portfolio when you can get started now.

On ownership, simply put, no one owns a customer, and no one owns your independence so do some research, you will find a great partner... but I can assure you it's not an MGA imo.

Back