Any PA Agents? Which Home Carrier???

wbk2078

Which is a better carrier for home insurance - I live in Philadelphia? I have received quotes for all, and they are similarly priced. Trying to decide which to go with (easiest to deal with if a claim occurred). Safeco, Philadelphia Contribution, Traveler's, Harleysville. The home is newer construction. Thanks!

Out of that list I would highly suggest Travelers. Great service and claims department which is what really matters. I haven't had the same experiences with Harleysville. Also, they write Flood, Umbrella, Auto & more, while offering a companion policy discount if you ever wish to put all your policies together with one company.

Which is a better carrier for home insurance - I live in Philadelphia? I have received quotes for all, and they are similarly priced. Trying to decide which to go with (easiest to deal with if a claim occurred). Safeco, Philadelphia Contribution, Traveler's, Harleysville. The home is newer construction. Thanks!

I'd go with Philadelphia Contributionship 100%. Their claims services will all be similar, but Philadelphia Contributionship's pricing will be WAY more stable over time. Make sure the agent knows what their doing because they have 2 tiers (Germantown Insurance Company & The Philadelphia Contributionship.) If it's falling into Germantown Insurance Company it's going to be priced better, but it can't be a rowhome, can't have a flat roof etc (the list goes on.) I know them well.

Have you looked into Erie? I have an Erie agency in Philly and own a home in the city and we've been killing it on new construction

I'd go with Philadelphia Contributionship 100%. Their claims services will all be similar, but Philadelphia Contributionship's pricing will be WAY more stable over time. Make sure the agent knows what their doing because they have 2 tiers (Germantown Insurance Company & The Philadelphia Contributionship.) If it's falling into Germantown Insurance Company it's going to be priced better, but it can't be a rowhome, can't have a flat roof etc (the list goes on.) I know them well.

I just spoke with the agent and it appears to be through Germantown. I know absolutely nothing about this company. Will they stand behind a claim (including liability? I have a following form standalone umbrella). My agent is advising me he recommends Safeco over Philly Contributionship. Is that typical? Pricing is almost the same... Thanks.

----------

Have you looked into Erie? I have an Erie agency in Philly and own a home in the city and we've been killing it on new construction

I have Erie currently for condo insurance and really dislike my agent. She isn't the type to make any accommodations. She refused to write a standalone umbrella for UM coverage so I want to avoid her at all costs.

I would never pick Safeco over Philadelphia Contributionship (unless the house is kind of $hitty because Philadelphia Contributionship is tougher on inspections.)

Will they stand behind a claim? No...they're a fake company. It's all a farse, they aren't even real. YES OF COURSE THEY WILL YOU GOOF. I have watched them pay out claims for massive hailstorms before Safeco even sends out a claims adjuster.

And your Erie agent refuses to write a stand alone umbrella for UM coverage? No...***....nobody writes that. And to think or suggest that she's just "refusing to do it" opposed to the fact she has underwriting guidelines that can't be broken...well goes to show.

You're one of those clients. I can tell already. Unrealistic expectations etc.

I would never pick Safeco over Philadelphia Contributionship (unless the house is kind of because Philadelphia Contributionship is tougher on inspections.)

Will they stand behind a claim? No...they're a fake company. It's all a farse, they aren't even real. YES OF COURSE THEY WILL YOU GOOF. I have watched them pay out claims for massive hailstorms before Safeco even sends out a claims adjuster.

And your Erie agent refuses to write a stand alone umbrella for UM coverage? No...***....nobody writes that. And to think or suggest that she's just "refusing to do it" opposed to the fact she has underwriting guidelines that can't be broken...well goes to show.

You're one of those clients. I can tell already. Unrealistic expectations etc.

That response was a little hostile. I apologize for trying to be an educated consumer. I had never heard of them and the ONLY reviews I could find were negative. I was actually happy you answered my question; I appreciate it.

In regards to the umbrella it was because she didn't want to write it through AAIC (personalumbrella.com) because I had a semi-large loss. She didn't want to "rock the boat" by asking their underwriting department. I went to a broker down the street who verified with them it was fine to write within two hours. Now I have $5M of liability coverage and $1M of UM. So... It can be written.

Again, thanks for your advice. In all seriousness it helped me make this decision.

The monoline umbrella websites I come across are are shared aggregate limits w/ defense costs excluded & it's an E/O nightmare waiting to happen so I don't bother.

Google any insurance company & you'll see the same type of reviews.

If it's a flat roof it won't qualify for GIC, they don't allow certain dog breeds, they don't allow unfenced pools, hot tubs or trampolines. You wouldn't fit into GIC with a prior liability loss (and Safeco would decline..) so I guarantee they aren't finding that prior claim. Maybe it was >5 years ago? Maybe you're buying a home & they ran the CLUE off the new address so it's not coming up? Be careful when you sign apps & make sure that claim is listed.

I'm a bit of an A-hole but I know my market inside & out.

The monoline umbrella websites I come across are are shared aggregate limits w/ defense costs excluded & it's an E/O nightmare waiting to happen so I don't bother.

Google any insurance company & you'll see the same type of reviews.

If it's a flat roof it won't qualify for GIC, they don't allow certain dog breeds, they don't allow unfenced pools, hot tubs or trampolines. You wouldn't fit into GIC with a prior liability loss (and Safeco would decline..) so I guarantee they aren't finding that prior claim. Maybe it was >5 years ago? Maybe you're buying a home & they ran the CLUE off the new address so it's not coming up? Be careful when you sign apps & make sure that claim is listed.

I'm a bit of an A-hole but I know my market inside & out.

I can tell you know your sh*t. I appreciate that. :)

The loss was from the auto, not home. Thanks for your advice. If I run into any issues I would gladly use you as an agent -- wish I had found this forum sooner.

Back