Any Real Estate Agents Switch to Insurance Sales?

cfuller4080

Expert
Hi everyone!

I am a real estate agent in North Carolina. I have always liked the idea of selling insurance, more of a “set schedule” (not showing properties until 10 pm, or all day on weekends etc…) Or not spending hours & days on a deal for it to fall through a the last second at the closing table, then have 2-4 months or more of work/time wasted… I feel that I can help a lot more people with insurance… I just love helping people.

I was wondering if anyone else has switched from real estate to selling insurance. I want to get into P&C, Life and Health… I would be going the Independent route!

If you have switched I would like to hear your story and how you are doing now? Do you like Real Estate or Insurance better? Do you find to have “more time” for family (not showing properties late night/on weekends all day) etc… Any tips?

Thanks for your time and responses!

Hi everyone!

I am a real estate agent in North Carolina. I have always liked the idea of selling insurance, more of a “set schedule” (not showing properties until 10 pm, or all day on weekends etc…) Or not spending hours & days on a deal for it to fall through a the last second at the closing table, then have 2-4 months or more of work/time wasted… I feel that I can help a lot more people with insurance… I just love helping people.

I was wondering if anyone else has switched from real estate to selling insurance. I want to get into P&C, Life and Health… I would be going the Independent route!

If you have switched I would like to hear your story and how you are doing now? Do you like Real Estate or Insurance better? Do you find to have “more time” for family (not showing properties late night/on weekends all day) etc… Any tips?

Thanks for your time and responses!

>>"*Or not spending hours & days on a deal for it to fall through a the last second at the closing table, then have 2-4 months or more of work/time wasted…"

Then do FE and not fully underwritten life.

>>"*Or not spending hours & days on a deal for it to fall through a the last second at the closing table, then have 2-4 months or more of work/time wasted…"

Then do FE and not fully underwritten life.

What I mean by hours/days is spending 80+ hours on a real estate deal for it to fall through same with days etc. I know insurance I will not be able to get everyone approved through underwriters and loose business because of that... But I wouldn't be loosing that many hours on the insurance deals if they don't get approved 2 hours max?...

What I mean by hours/days is spending 80+ hours on a real estate deal for it to fall through same with days etc. I know insurance I will not be able to get everyone approved through underwriters and loose business because of that... But I wouldn't be loosing that many hours on the insurance deals if they don't get approved 2 hours max?...

Depends on the deal but bread and butter deals your right.

Its not only underwriting. People are people, they sometimes shift direction for no logical reason at all. I've got one right now that I've been working with for months. Probably 5 appt's, many phone calls and emails. Not sure how many hours (certainly not 80), but you get the picture. Based on what she asked for and wanted to accomplish (retirement planning) I laid out an excellent plan that SHE said met all her needs perfectly, and she still won't pull the trigger. LOL, it is what it is. People are the same in every business.

Real estate agents in our area make some pretty nice commissions typically. Avg home price is probably around $250-$300k. Most insurance agents commissions are not typically as high per transaction I would say. Of course that depends on the market and demographic you work also, some can be higher.

I think it all depends on how hard you want to go. It will also depend on what type of insurance you wish to sell.

I started with RE and then started working with Insurance I have P&C L&H licenses. Dont leave RE ....work parallel.

Thanks

Hello!

I work at a life/health firm, and one of the types of people we try to recruit as new agents are actually people in real estate. We've had a couple that got pretty far into the hiring process, but they actually backed-out because our field was "too similar to real estate," and they were looking for something "new." Our firm is primarily outside sales, so our agents make their own schedule, aren't required to come into the office (although, a fair amount of them do), and are often on "the move." We have about 140 agents, and about 40-60 are in the office at any given time, while I never see (or may not even know of) 80-100 of them. The only time you see ALL of them are during certain events/meetings (just follow the trail of Mercedes-Benz--they tend to do VERY well).

If you think that insurance will be completely different from what you're doing right now, you may be mistaken.

Last edited:
Back