Any Suggestions on Losing my FMO for UHC

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
Here's my problem I was an ICA for United Healthcare since 2007, no problems eventually opened an agency hired staff started in to P&C. A couple days before 2013 AEP this guy comes in to my office says he is the new ICA manager and we got a big problem and when he gets back to his office he needs to terminate my contract because of the agency. I had over 2k a month in renewals with UHC, community meetings only days away a full calendar basically. I re-contracted with an FMO, kept my renewals. But I should of did more research.

The problem is the FMO does not provide me with any leads, any retail opportunities basically not a thing. All these other local agents are getting retail opportunities, direct mail leads, pre-set appts and I feel I am missing out on $.

I know I can sit out for 6 months and re-contract but my P&C clients are always turning 65 and they usually want UHC plans or aarp plans. I have asked the FMO for a release and its always denied.

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

Here's my problem I was an ICA for United Healthcare since 2007, no problems eventually opened an agency hired staff started in to P&C. A couple days before 2013 AEP this guy comes in to my office says he is the new ICA manager and we got a big problem and when he gets back to his office he needs to terminate my contract because of the agency. I had over 2k a month in renewals with UHC, community meetings only days away a full calendar basically. I re-contracted with an FMO, kept my renewals. But I should of did more research.

The problem is the FMO does not provide me with any leads, any retail opportunities basically not a thing. All these other local agents are getting retail opportunities, direct mail leads, pre-set appts and I feel I am missing out on $.

I know I can sit out for 6 months and re-contract but my P&C clients are always turning 65 and they usually want UHC plans or aarp plans. I have asked the FMO for a release and its always denied.

Dear A-hole FMO:

I will simply wait out the 6 months and have a friend write business until I can get out from under you. I will plaster a warning to other potential agents to avoid you due to the lack of release all over an insurance agent message board with over 20,000 members.

Or you can say thank you for all the overrides you haven't earned over the years and part as friends.

Be a dick or give me a release.

You call it.

Love and Kisses.

Rick (yes, you can sign my name)

Here's my problem I was an ICA for United Healthcare since 2007, no problems eventually opened an agency hired staff started in to P&C. A couple days before 2013 AEP this guy comes in to my office says he is the new ICA manager and we got a big problem and when he gets back to his office he needs to terminate my contract because of the agency. I had over 2k a month in renewals with UHC, community meetings only days away a full calendar basically. I re-contracted with an FMO, kept my renewals. But I should of did more research. The problem is the FMO does not provide me with any leads, any retail opportunities basically not a thing. All these other local agents are getting retail opportunities, direct mail leads, pre-set appts and I feel I am missing out on $. I know I can sit out for 6 months and re-contract but my P&C clients are always turning 65 and they usually want UHC plans or aarp plans. I have asked the FMO for a release and its always denied. Any suggestions on what I can do here?

Very few FMO's provide legitimate leads. Sure, during AEP you may get a bone every now and then. But I wouldn't depend on an FMO for leads. As for "retail" opportunities, you couldn't pay me to go sit in a store waiting for people to come talk to me. My time is much too valuable for that. And more times than not it doesn't generate much business.

Other than that, the letter Rick suggested is a good start.

Why was your agency a "problem?" I don't understand that part.

The "problem" was unfair advantage over the other ICA's because all the customers and the leads they gave me could be contacted for auto and home insurance. Like medicare agents don't sell life or annuities after AEP. The rep got fired in less than a year for not producing.

Back