Anybody Ever Worked with Fund College or Dollars & Sense Programs

The thing with Imeriti sounded too much like a gimmick. That doesn't mean it isn't viable... but it's just too gimmicky.

Don't know about the other one.

Fund College-Imerti runs like a "points system" sort of like frequent flyer miles or those grocery stores points systems........where "the client gets so many "extra points (dollars off tuition) if a students attends one of the 'participating' colleges.

* It basically gives these private colleges a recruiting "inside track' to sell themselves to potential students, while providing a marketing niche for an agent to sit with eager parents.

Fund College like DHK, stated can 'feel' gimmicky that's why i inquired about others thoughts on the system.

D&S looks to 'sell' college planning (for i think like 2k) where the agent just collects info and money and "they' handle they CP stuff and you the agent offer any solutions you see fit. The D&S ppl have nothing to do with a insurance business. It's just a marketing agreement to sell their product that produces a certain type to of prospect for you to work with and of course you make a commission pushing their deal plus all insurance related stuff is on you.

Whereas, Fund College 'gives' away a CP report and a small 'scholarship' (to 'participating' colleges) just to meet with an advisor (YOU) then selected I/C (like Allianz) donate additional 'scholarship points' for every year the client family maintains their insurance policy.

Basically just a marketing approach to sell stuff like the Allianz Life Pro+ but other companies are listed like:
American Natl
Aviva
Banner
F&G
Foresters and
Genworth
so the products are legit, it's just do you want to do that type of marketing.

I did this guy's program before I was even licensed:

Ron Caruthers - College Planner

In my opinion college planning is a pretty effective tool because its a hot button for the parents and the schools really dont give them much guidance. It didnt work for me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I wasn't even licensed to sell insurance (I was working with a financial planner that wanted to do this without doing it). More importantly, Georgia has the Hope Scholarship, which really lessons the burden of college funding on parents. I think it'd be a good niche in other states.

I dont know about the other programs specifically, but its not a bad niche because you've got a steady stream of prospects that have a real need for guidance. There is a bit of a square peg/round hole thing hitting them in high school because the insurance aspect is mainly that you can park money in an insurance contract and it doesn't count as an asset when they are figuring financial aid. I think you could do more for the client getting them much earlier, which maybe these other guys are doing.

Ron was making real money, but he's also an RIA and mortgage broker based out of California, so is doing more than just selling insurance. He does a lot of work with the kids too.

He's a Dan Kennedy disciple and you can see it in his stuff. Still, he's making good money and has a pretty good approach and he actually knows a ton and educates his clients on college planning, admissions, etc. It looks like he's structured his outfit more like a franchise than a training program these days.

I imagine the other ones are pretty similar. Hit the hot buttons for the prospect, bring them in, uncover a need for insurance and sell it to them. Done right, the cost charged for planning would cover marketing costs and the insurance sale is profit.

You do get a good response from the mailings because of the targeted list and need. I did mailers to seminars to meetings in the office, the parents were interested, but with the state covering the cost of college for most everybody around here, it greatly reduced the market (to people going out of state or didn't have a B average) and wasn't cost effective on the marketing.

Wow, Georgia foots the bill for college for it's residents?
That's amazing and a huge incentive for those in the 5 border states to MOVE.

GeminiGroup said:
Wow, Georgia foots the bill for college for it's residents?
That's amazing and a huge incentive for those in the 5 border states to MOVE.

Not entirely. Hope only pays tuition and only full if you have a 3.7 GPA. Still left to pay other fees and most of the books, rom and board, etc.

Is it 3.7 now? That seems high.

It was originally written up as an 80 average, then schools started grading on scales of 110 & even 120 to manipulate the system. Imagine that.

The original intent was merit based for B students to be able to have their tuition paid. Its been running low on funds so they are making adjustments.

Its paid for with lottery dollars and is a real popular program- and has real merit in that it makes sense that it encourages a higher educated workforce in the state.

Personally, I'm not a fan of it because a lot of lottery income is from poorer neighborhoods and a whole bunch of the recipients are people that could afford to pay for it...

Back