Anybody Read Nick Murray?

I've read his original Excellent Investment Advisor book as well as The New Financial Advisor. The EIA book is better. (I haven't read "The Law of Numbers" prospecting book. I think Sid Walker's mindset, approach, books and free selling without wrestling website is probably far better - or at least a far better fit for me.)

One thing that Nick Murray stresses is a 90-day "build your belief system" in who you are and what you do. Every day you write something different about what you do. I think that can be good (if you actually know what you do). This was how Nick Murray built his beliefs in loving to invest in equities.

In chapters 3-5, he talks about the "rejection olympics" and that almost everyone will say no to you. But the magic word is "almost"... and that's all you need to be successful.

He discusses talking about "multi-generational global planning". I think that was his (complex) prospecting phrase to indicate who he worked with.

He does talk about the 5 needs for financial planning. I don't remember them all right now, but education, nursing home planning, and legacy planning were a part of it.

The difference between the EIA book and the NFA book is the focus on fee-based, recurring revenue planning. "Fees are just like commissions, but they keep coming in over and over again."

He talks about "building your ark" of clients. 250 clients @ $400,000 average assets = $100,000,000 in AUM earning about 1% to the advisor, or $1 million a year.

The beginning chapters of the EIA book would work for life agents, but the rest probably isn't that transferrable.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Good books for an investment advisor but only fair for an insurance guy. I have a half-dozen of his books.

Back