Anybody Selling Med Supps Door to Door?

garryr

Expert
I was wondering if anyone has experience door knocking for Med Sups - I originally planned (I'm a newbie) on getting a phone list and dialing for appointments, but I found for example that my home zip code had 58 numbers, while at the same time there were 857 addresses. I don't live in a metro area, if I get a big enough phone list I will be doing a lot of driving. In the past I did a lot of phone calls (my P&C days), still don't like it all that much, feel more comfortable with the idea of knocking. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I used to door knock and found it to be a waste of time. That being said there are many agents that do make money doing it. However if your worried about driving, senior health insurance may not be the right place for you to be. Most senior insurance is either sold in their home or over the phone. What you need to look at is if you call for the meeting and get it, pre qualify them over the phone. knowing what you ll make after you walk out with the sale will make you more comfortable with the driving portion. Once you get better at setting appointments on the phone, you'll fill in your day with a certain area. the driving will actually give you time to relax both to work and home each day. look at it like this, how much driving will you have to do in your area to get to everyone you need to in order to see enough people to make a sale. Remember even if your driving within your county to every medicare eligible person, that is still alot of driving. factor that in with the fact that if it takes you five minutes or a little less to get to each house, and not everyone will be home or even answer the door, that is alot of downtime you could be using to fill in your week over the phone.

Thanks for the feedback, here's the thing, if I do a 50 mile radius(and that 50 miles is a straight line, not driving distance) I come up with 1400 numbers, same search just addresses there are 23,000, so the phone list will only reach 6% of the people, what about the other 94%? Seems like leaving a very large slice of the pie untouched. Within a 5 mile radius there are 5500 addresses (313 numbers), mostly within the city here where I live.

I know this is not a CMS regulated product, but it seems like kind of a moot point since you'll presumably sell the PDP as well, which is. (Or perhaps the person conversation will lead to the sale of an MAPD even if a Supp was initially marketed.) What's the deal with this? If you knock or call initially on a supp, you're safe so long as this was the introductory discussion?

Hardee's... Picadilly's... Bingo at the local Community Center..

Plenty of opportunities that cost little or nothing if you are effective at providing useful information that doesn't sound like a sales pitch.

Figure out where seniors go, make a proposal to the facility manager.

Unless you have money to burn, there is no need to spend money on invitations, newspaper ads, mailers, lunches, etc.

You keep mentioning these huge number of addresses, are these just the addresses of Medicare eligibles? I am not opposed to door to door sales, but since not every house is a medicare house you will be doing as much driving to get to where you will walk door to door as if you just pounded the phone and set appointments or better yet sell them over the phone right then and there.

Back