Anyon writing any World?

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
What's up with the rates with World? Is it just me, or are they rediculous in Texas? I have a buddy in Texas, and he claims World is just about all he writes.. I def like the fact the Flex Advantage has a very low OOP on the 80 plan, but other than that, what's so great?

I'm in the same boat in Michigan. Their rates aren't competitive at all compared to Assurant and Golden Rule. I don't like how expensive it is to add on a Dr's office co-pay, or Rx benefit either....

I agree that the 80/20 to $5,000 is a nice touch, but still doesn't compare to any of the other carriers here.

They do have a decent maternity option though... it's first dollar coverage and basically someone could add it on for a very small amount. It's similar to Assurants where you can add on maternity (small amount of coverage) for a low dollar amount per month, but then the client at least will get the negotiated rates for maternity. Other than that though, they don't seem to be in my top 2 when giving a client options...

Their rates here in Texas appear to be about the same or higher than Assurant in many cases... World vs. Assurant... I'm going to recommend Assurant any day!

Plus, heaven forbid the family has young kids - the rates go nuts. I think they're the only company in the country that drastically raises the rates for very young kids.

I have also run World rates in several states. I do not see them having an advantage of any other company and I don't like that every app has to be call verified and they go back 10 years on health.

Based on what? Price alone?

Uhh.. no.. If I was selling on price alone I would never sell Assurant. World has a $5000 cap on ambulances and their underwriting seems to be more strict when I have done prescreens with them...

Do I need to back up my comment further?

It changes from state to state - World is one of the three best options in CO along with Humana and Aetna. We are also able to offer a "private label" World plan which beats their street plans by a mile - in terms of benefits and price. World underwriting is liberal in CO, we can get 3 strikes vs 2 from most other carriers. I have been able to place clients with them that were declined by most others. Like I said, it changes from state to state.

In CO, I think Assurant is the only company not to cap ambulance. The norm is $1K ground and $5K air. Anthem BC/BS caps it at $350 ground, $1K air. KP is $1K for both. Aetna and Humana are the same as World. Celtic is 3K for both.

The bottom line is that the customer is going to pay for the ambulance ride - applicable to ded. You are screwed if air is needed. The ambulance benefit offered from Assurant is the best but the Rx is less than most others = 50% core med/20% Max plan. The ambulance benefit is not enough to offset the price (hugh difference) or the Rx short fall.

I wish Assurant was more competitive here price wise. I like them but they are not even close to being in the ball park. I can understand why quality should cost more but we are not talking enough quality to make up for the outrageous difference in price. They really need to invest in some market research unless the master plan is to write very few policies.

Last edited:
Uhh.. no.. If I was selling on price alone I would never sell Assurant. World has a $5000 cap on ambulances and their underwriting seems to be more strict when I have done prescreens with them...

Do I need to back up my comment further?

I'm not asking you to back up your comment, just wondering what you based your opinion on. No further questions you honor!

I'm not asking you to back up your comment, just wondering what you based your opinion on. No further questions you honor!

I was just kidding man.. but if you want to refer to me as "your honor" I'll answer to me..

Haha.. that made me think of the line in in "A Few Good Men"... you will address me as "your Honor" or "Sir".. I believe I've earned it..

Yeah.. here in TX it's crazy! Sometimes I am coming up with $100-300/mo. higher premium than Assurant. Even on a $5,000 deductible, the rate is higher with World and I can do a 36 month rate lock with Assurant for less premium. No ambulance cap is a huge selling point here.. Amarillo is a very rural area and everyone knows someone that's had a $10,000 air ambulance ride. As trivial as it sounds, I have had customers buy based on that benefit alone. I would think CO has some very rural areas as well.

I thought Unicare owned Texas. I have also been told that people in Texas are so tough that they don't need any stink'n doctors - and if they need an ambulance ride, - it's called a horse.

Now before you go getting all upset about my Texas joking, my father was from there and is now buried there (San Antonio). He never called me son, it was always Yankee. LOL.

Last edited:
Back