Anyone Going to Houston to Help?

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Thinking about joining the Cajun Navy. My brother-in-law has a Cartridge World franchise and several rental homes in Houston. Might go volunteer my services for a few days since I have a small flat bottom boat.

Most people will just get in the way. They don't have the skills needed. If you do and are willing, great.

Donate MONEY to a charity you believe in that will help. I personally recommend the Salvation Army.

The Red Cross is notorious for redirecting supplies to other areas. A lot of that is simply because it isn't needed in the disaster area but can better be used elsewhere. Still irks a lot of people. Also they have a pretty heavy administration expense.

Money is great, it can buy supplies that are truly needed, often for pricing you can't imagine. Or it can be given to families in need to help them buy what they need at a later time.

Most of my fishing and hunting trips are local and I drive less than 100 miles round trip. Got to thinking last night that my trailer might not make an 8 hour road trip so I took it to the local trailer builder. Glad I did because it need some TLC. Getting a new axle and hubs, springs and tires. Said they would have it road ready in 3 days. Will see then if they are still asking for volunteers.

----------

Just saw a news report where looters were shooting at rescue workers and trying to steal their boats. Most of them have loaded up and are heading home. My step-son lives just north of Houston and sent me a Facebook post where a black thug said that members of Black Lives Matter were looting the white neighborhoods. My mind is made up, I ain't going. I would rather take the abuse from these Walton county leads than get shot at. Supposed to rain the rest of this week here so door knocking won't be much fun.

Most of my fishing and hunting trips are local and I drive less than 100 miles round trip. Got to thinking last night that my trailer might not make an 8 hour road trip so I took it to the local trailer builder. Glad I did because it need some TLC. Getting a new axle and hubs, springs and tires. Said they would have it road ready in 3 days. Will see then if they are still asking for volunteers.

----------

Just saw a news report where looters were shooting at rescue workers and trying to steal their boats. Most of them have loaded up and are heading home. My step-son lives just north of Houston and sent me a Facebook post where a black thug said that members of Black Lives Matter were looting the white neighborhoods. My mind is made up, I ain't going. I would rather take the abuse from these Walton county leads than get shot at. Supposed to rain the rest of this week here so door knocking won't be much fun.

Every time I see massive looting taking place during a disaster or emergency situation, the thought comes to mind that, "looters should be shot on sight". That would put an end to it quickly.

Back