Anyone Heard of USAA for Medicare Coverages?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
A buddy referred a couple moving to McKinney (north of Dallas) from Torrance. I mailed an Aetna packet to them for review. I've never been a fan of doing it through the mail, but did it anyway since McKinney is just too dang far from San Antonio. I just called the prospect who said that she went with "her husband's Veterans coverage" thru USAA. I phoned USAA myself and discovered that you don't have to be a Vet to use their Medicare insurance services. They apparently partner with Aetna, Cigna & Humana for MA and their own brand for Medigap.
She said that her kids looked everything up online and did the arrangements. I've seen/heard USAA TV/radio commercials and they are effective.

When you mail a packet, is any prospect leery of mailing back the application with all of their sensitive Medicare ID, contact information? That also occurred to me. The self-addressed stamped envelopes that I enclose go to my home address, not a company or Agency headquarters.

A buddy referred a couple moving to McKinney (north of Dallas) from Torrance. I mailed an Aetna packet to them for review. I've never been a fan of doing it through the mail, but did it anyway since McKinney is just too dang far from San Antonio. I just called the prospect who said that she went with "her husband's Veterans coverage" thru USAA. I phoned USAA myself and discovered that you don't have to be a Vet to use their Medicare insurance services. They apparently partner with Aetna, Cigna & Humana for MA and their own brand for Medigap. She said that her kids looked everything up online and did the arrangements. I've seen/heard USAA TV/radio commercials and they are effective. When you mail a packet, is any prospect leery of mailing back the application with all of their sensitive Medicare ID, contact information? That also occurred to me. The self-addressed stamped envelopes that I enclose go to my home address, not a company or Agency headquarters.

I've never had a problem with prospects mailing applications back to me. I don't mail apps too often anymore since so many carriers have e-apps now. But when I did mail them I would typically complete it over the phone and put "sign here" tabs where I needed them to sign. All they had to do was sign and stick it in the envelope.

I've only come across USAA once. Sure would be nice if CSG quoted their rates as well.

I've never had a problem with prospects mailing applications back to me. I don't mail apps too often anymore since so many carriers have e-apps now. But when I did mail them I would typically complete it over the phone and put "sign here" tabs where I needed them to sign. All they had to do was sign and stick it in the envelope.

I've only come across USAA once. Sure would be nice if CSG quoted their rates as well.

They do. I can pull up their rates.

Rick

I've never had a problem with prospects mailing applications back to me. I don't mail apps too often anymore since so many carriers have e-apps now. But when I did mail them I would typically complete it over the phone and put "sign here" tabs where I needed them to sign. All they had to do was sign and stick it in the envelope. I've only come across USAA once. Sure would be nice if CSG quoted their rates as well.

Would they submit the app if they weren't familiar with the product? Honestly, the ONLY times where I mailed MA packets where when spouse was already on plan, other spouse T65 or some other familial connection OR docs office referral, ie the prospect already knew that they would be enrolling into that plan. I had lesser luck when they don't know squat because another agent could come in after me (other referral from prospects acquaint/relative . Other agent phoning them, etc). If I go in person, at least I usually walk out with the app.

They do. I can pull up their rates. Rick

You must have a special version of CSG because USAA doesn't show up on the list in Georgia.

----------

Would they submit the app if they weren't familiar with the product? Honestly, the ONLY times where I mailed MA packets where when spouse was already on plan, other spouse T65 or some other familial connection OR docs office referral, ie the prospect already knew that they would be enrolling into that plan. I had lesser luck when they don't know squat because another agent could come in after me (other referral from prospects acquaint/relative . Other agent phoning them, etc). If I go in person, at least I usually walk out with the app.

Absolutely they would (and still will). It's all about building rapport over the phone and educating them. To be fair, all my business these days is from referrals. However, even when I was buying internet leads I didn't have problems with having apps mailed back.

The USAA branded sup is sometimes competitive esp on plan N. However, the person has to qualify via service requirements and the USAA sups are age banded every 5 years so they get an extra rate adjustment at 70, 75, 80, etc on top of any inflationary adjustments.

USAA have a sense of loyalty in much the same way as those who love AARP. The difference in the two is, the USAA products I have seen (including term life and auto) are competitive.

I rarely run into USAA. Only twice that I can recall in the last few years. I made a pitch to buy from me (both were T65) but they ended up with USAA.

They don't offer plan G so that is the one I usually push. I do the same when up against AARP/UHC.

When competing against MOO I pitch plan N. I almost always win that battle even when I write G (as I did yesterday at a premium that was $10 higher than MOO).

Easier to make a sale when you have something your competitor doesn't.

I do usually find that people that have USAA really do think just like the example from the OP that it is "her husband's Veterans coverage" thru USAA.

Selling to military is just a marketing niche or gimmick that USAA chooses to do. They are not actually tied to any government veterans benefits.

USAA is the United States Automobile Association.

They are more competitive than AARP though.

Back