Anyone here selling P&C from Home?

wildcat

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
No. Cal.
I sell mainly health / life, and I'm thinking of adding a P&C line or two, but don't want to get an office. Is this possible, or is the logistics too tough. I never have any clients wanting to come to my "office/home."

From what I remember about personal lines P&C is there were always customers in agents offices, dropping off a bill, fense flew down, and an adjuster has not been to the house yet, things like that.

Commercial lines you always go to them, which would be easy to work from home, but I don't know about personal lines.

Most P&C insurance carriers usually require an office.... but you should be fine with having a home based office if that works well for you.

I'll occasionally sell some auto & home from my home office.

Touch bases with people over the phone, verify vin#'s, verify drivers license#'s, run mvr's, quote, buy, print!

I'll usually just take a payment over the phone or set up a time to either meet with them at my office or at their home to sign apps and pick up checks.

It's not impossible but to do it correctly from home you have to stay in the "zone" and not get too distracted....which I'm sure you already know how to do since you have sold life and health from home.

I'll occasionally sell some auto & home from my home office.

Touch bases with people over the phone, verify vin#'s, verify drivers license#'s, run mvr's, quote, buy, print!

I'll usually just take a payment over the phone or set up a time to either meet with them at my office or at their home to sign apps and pick up checks.

It's not impossible but to do it correctly from home you have to stay in the "zone" and not get too distracted....which I'm sure you already know how to do since you have sold life and health from home.

I do commercial P&C and I think if you stick commercial it is entirely possible to do it from your home. (assuming you don't mind driving to them)

I wouldn't see a problem with selling p&c from home. I sell for Farmers, and although I have an office, I generally always go to the customers home to do my presentation. Plus, I am marketing in an area where it is almost never a long drive for me. Personally, for the first contact I feel people are more apt to listen if you agree to go to them, rather than them come to you. That is my personal opinion though. It does save you a lot of time, if you can set up appointments at an office.

It all depends what you want to accomplish. I sold P&C out of my home for a while, finally gave in and got an office. With the office, my production increased significantly. People feel more comfortable when you have an office they can drop by at.

Unlike health, where companies never send anything with your return address on it, with P&C, carriers will send out letters from you to your clients, with your address on them. Most carriers won't accept PO Boxes, so you'll need a real address. This can be your home address, but be prepared to have customers knock on your door, or it can be an office down the street that will accept your mail for you for a small fee. I recommend avoided things like UPS stores, customers who show up to those, will think you are a flake.

I rent an actually office in a business building. They also offer for a very small fee, the ability to have my mail delivered here, and allow me to use the conference room. A couple of attorneys use it as a satellite office, works pretty well for them. I would use it if I worked out of my house.

Dan

I'm a Farmers agent. I sell about 60% of the time from an office & 40% from my 'home' office. It is hard to stay focused at home, but it's definitely possible, as I'm sure you realize.

You can do it!

I sell mainly health / life, and I'm thinking of adding a P&C line or two, but don't want to get an office. Is this possible, or is the logistics too tough. quote]

I work with World Financial Group and we use Travelers, Metlife and Progressive for P&C. It is very probable and possible to work from your home. There are more details of course, but there are Branch offices that you can use as well if they are in your area.

Brad

I left a captive to go independent one year ago and I home office. I needed to keep expenses to a minimum. It's been great. My renewals have just started kicking in bigtime this month, finally. The goal is to have an office. Some carriers would not work with me until I have a real office but I still have something like 11 carriers now, which is plenty.

Latest posts

Back