Anyone Recommend Investment Accounts for HSA's?

Just wondering if anyone has recommended this for a client.
Thanks for any input!

How to choose the best HSA

Some HSAs are only savings accounts while others feature an investment option. Those who want to invest should consider the range and type of investments, fees and flexibility.
Wells Fargo, for instance, offers six or seven of its own mutual funds and allows customers to transfer money between savings and investments without charge.

HSA Bank gives customers access to 11,000 mutual funds and the ability to buy stocks through an agreement with TD AmeriTrade. The account is free. AmeriTrade charges $9.95 per trade.

"If you aren't trading, it's not costing you anything extra," Hoewisch says.

Not that many people take advantage of the health savings account investment feature -- if Wells Fargo's experience holds true across the industry. Ryan says 87 percent of the HSA funds that Wells Fargo administers are in cash or money market funds.

"Very little of (the total) is invested in a mutual fund, and that's because the balances are very small," she says.

Savings accounts are insured, up to certain limits, by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., which protects savers from loss if a bank goes out of business. Investment accounts don't have this protection.

I don't recommend it. Keep it simple...Find an HSA administrator with NO fees, best rate of return on money (even with a small deposit, low minimums). Why would someone want to monkey around with HSA money in the stock market (subject the money to loss, etc..)....Justin nothing personal, just makes NO sense to this HealthGuy.

I don't recommend it. Keep it simple...Find an HSA administrator with NO fees, best rate of return on money (even with a small deposit, low minimums). Why would someone want to monkey around with HSA money in the stock market (subject the money to loss, etc..)....Justin nothing personal, just makes NO sense to this HealthGuy.

No offense taken! Since your not an fa you usually don't take into consideration tax planning.

"These accounts, combined with a high-deductible health insurance plan, also offer certain income tax breaks that make them even more attractive."

Investing your HSA is probably one of the smartest long term moves you can make.
I talk about strategies and custodians on my HSA education website
HSA Investment Srategies - Why, When and How | HSA Consumer
HSA Consumer - Investment Custodians | HSA Consumer

I use HSA bank, and TD Ameritrade for fullest options

If that's your site that's very informative and easy to read!

Question, you or the author said that anything you can put in an ira you can put in an hsa. Isn't there a way of putting life insurance in an ira? If that's the case can you do that with an hsa then? how bout gold?
Just curious:biggrin:

If that's your site that's very informative and easy to read!

Question, you or the author said that anything you can put in an ira you can put in an hsa. Isn't there a way of putting life insurance in an ira? If that's the case can you do that with an hsa then? how bout gold?
Just curious:biggrin:

That is my site. Haven't updated it in a while. It's for agents and all those that touch HSA's to use for education.

Bullion I don't know, but you could by GLD to accomplish same thing. Life insurance probably not, real estate..........yes. But, if eligible for an IRA, than yes for an HSA. Problem might be to find a custodian willing to take it on.

That is my site. Haven't updated it in a while. It's for agents and all those that touch HSA's to use for education.

Bullion I don't know, but you could by GLD to accomplish same thing. Life insurance probably not, real estate..........yes. But, if eligible for an IRA, than yes for an HSA. Problem might be to find a custodian willing to take it on.

Seriously, great site, I am enjoying the education and it reads easily. You definitely are missing out on higher traffic via share buttons. I'm gonna share some of these pages on my linkedin.

Are there any referral fees for the hsa administrators you link to? Just wondering;)

You should also partner up with a FA so that he can post some investment advice for your blog to take up where you leave off regarding analysis of risk etc. Just a possible content strategy. Looking forward to new content!

Btw I am a huge advocate of hsas...just not necessary to offer stock market options in hsa.

Seriously, great site, I am enjoying the education and it reads easily. You definitely are missing out on higher traffic via share buttons. I'm gonna share some of these pages on my linkedin.

Are there any referral fees for the hsa administrators you link to? Just wondering;)

You should also partner up with a FA so that he can post some investment advice for your blog to take up where you leave off regarding analysis of risk etc. Just a possible content strategy. Looking forward to new content!

I'm a past RIA, so as long as i give generalized advice, i can write most of the content. Plus, i don't know many FA's who understand HSA's........even tax advisors don't know the huge benefit.

Make it grow...........use it to self insure LTC, or pay for LTC premiums policy tax free with HSA. Also, there is no RMD, and you can treat it like an IRA after 65.

Yes, I get a couple dollars from some custodians, and other vendors on the site. I had a whole marketing plan for the site, but O'care got in the way. Other projects in the works.....

I'm a past RIA, so as long as i give generalized advice, i can write most of the content. Plus, i don't know many FA's who understand HSA's........even tax advisors don't know the huge benefit.

Make it grow...........use it to self insure LTC, or pay for LTC premiums policy tax free with HSA. Also, there is no RMD, and you can treat it like an IRA after 65.

Yes, I get a couple dollars from some custodians, and other vendors on the site. I had a whole marketing plan for the site, but O'care got in the way. Other projects in the works.....

So could this technically make some/most/all of a client's LTC premiums tax deductible (subject to the max contribution limit for the HSA and the age banded distribution limit for the LTC) if the client fed his premiums through the HSA (assuming that he didn't meet the 10% AGI floor for medical expenses)?

Back