Anyone seen a union Medicare plan set up as lifetime max payout?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
My prospect understands the plan as no cost to the prospect, but a $400,000 lifetime maximum payable for amounts original Medicare doesn't pay. I am not sure if the prescription coverage with a $650 deductible is inlcuded or has a separate union trust fund. The prospect wants the security of a Medicare supplement.
The prospect is concerned whether this union retiree Medicare coverage is going to prevent the purchase of a Medicare supplement. I am not aware of any issues, except the need to know any restrictions on the union plan side. I am concerned for Rx plan vs. no plan decision making whether the prescription coverage is considered creditable. The prospect's assignment while waiting for the Medicare card to arrive is to find the phone number for the retiree plan so these questions can be answered.

Is it a retiree health plan? If so, a better reference to it might be just retiree health insurance, not retiree medicare coverage. This would allow reviewing characteristics of retiree health insurance and its requirements, and comparing them to Medicare and Medigap plans and PDP plans.

Retiree insurance | Medicare

Paragraph at start of this article suggests some retiree plans require a person to completely drop retiree coverage to obtain a PDP.

How Retiree Coverage Works with Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)

I have run into a few times retirees with lifetime benefits when they are near the end of amounts, The problem I run into sometimes is they cant apply for drug cov mid-year which is usually when cov ends but they dont want to give up retiree benefits during AEP when they still have some money left to go through

I have run into a few times retirees with lifetime benefits when they are near the end of amounts, The problem I run into sometimes is they cant apply for drug cov mid-year which is usually when cov ends but they dont want to give up retiree benefits during AEP when they still have some money left to go through
Valuable experience, helpful! So the money running out doesn't create a SEP. That may be the deal here, and a catch 22 for PDP if the money somehow gets used up, gaps in timing. I wonder if same problem with MedSupp, if loss of the retiree benefit wouldn't trigger guaranteed issue.
Will need to review when the prospect gets info on the union plan.
Thinking it through, it would be difficult for a retiree fund that pays the the same way as a Plan F to co-exist with a Plan F medsupp.

Valuable experience, helpful! So the money running out doesn't create a SEP. That may be the deal here, and a catch 22 for PDP if the money somehow gets used up, gaps in timing. I wonder if same problem with MedSupp, if loss of the retiree benefit wouldn't trigger guaranteed issue.
Will need to review when the prospect gets info on the union plan.
Thinking it through, it would be difficult for a retiree fund that pays the the same way as a Plan F to co-exist with a Plan F medsupp.

If I remember as to why I believe its because they are mostly retirement benefits and are not currently working, And have Part B in effect, At least this has been the case every time I ran into it

Back