Anyone Willing to Share a Good Cold Calling Opening Statement

I am looking to target consumers that are between 50-70 years old with a cold calling campaign to generate leads/appts for Final Expense Life insurance? I generally know what to say when working direct mail and internet leads. I usually open by saying that "this is Thomas and I am a local insurance advisor here in VA and I just receive your information from where you had went online and requested some life insurance quotes do you have a few minutes to go over the quotes that I have for you?" then I go in to asking questions, confirming need for insurance, providing quotes, and then try to set an appointment. But cold calling the conversation should start out differently to see if Final Expense is something they are even half way interested in talking about. Anyone have a good opening for cold calling and then if Final Expense Life insurance is something they are interested in whatsoever I think I could take it from there? Thank you

You should look through some different discussions on here about scripts. Personally I don't share most of my material because it's taken too long and too much expense to develop, but several others are more open with what they'll share.

Last edited:
Those people get hammered with FE/Medicare supp mail

Use it to your advantage

"Hi Mrs Kadillahoppa, My name is_____ and I'm a local field underwriter for ____________ and I'm calling about the card we sent you in regards to Final Expense, did you get a chance to mail it back to us?"

"Final Expense card? I dont remember getting...."

You're gonna get that...

Say,.... "I understand Mrs K, I get alot of mail to and sometimes I over look my mail too. We sent it to you a couple weeks back and I'm calling to follow up and give you your free quotes- do you have 5 minutes?"

I dont cold call- you'll have to make adjustments as you go to find out what works... But If I did cold call, it'd be something like that

Cold callers beware. Look at FTC regulations first, as you must officially register first for each area you are calling.

Paying a $10,200 fine to the Federal Trade Commission per incident will really raise your tax bracket.

"this is Thomas and I am a local insurance advisor here in VA and I just receive your information from where you had went online and requested some life insurance quotes do you have a few minutes to go over the quotes that I have for you?"

I would start by cleaning up what you are saying now.

Hi Mrs. Smith, my name is Thomas Jones. I am a local life insurance advisor and I am calling because I just received your online request for information on life insurance. I find that most people are looking for around $00,000 in coverage. Is that close to the amount you had in mind?

You have said you are "local" so you don't need to say "here in VA". "Where you had went on line" is too wordy and not proper English.

Use your first and last name. Using just your first name makes it sound like a telemarketing call. Say your name slowly and distinctly so they can understand it. That also will make it sound less like a telemarketing call.

When you make the initial contact how many people say they didn't request the information? They probably assumed that you were going to send them something as opposed to you calling them or just refuse to admit to having done it.

If they say they didn't make the request you can say something like, "I understand, I also request a lot of information on line and don't always remember each request I send do you currently have a specific policy to cover your funeral expenses?".

Say the above without pausing. Do not pause after you say the word "send".

Cold calling for FE is quite difficult regardless of what you may say. I believe you will have more success cold calling for Med Supps and cross selling FE to your new Med Supp clients. There is also a lot more money leading with Med Supps and cold calling is much easier.

Back