AON Question for AT&T Retirees

steveadlman

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a prospect that is a retiree from AT&T. Her income is low enough that she can qualify to get the state to pay her Part B premium. If she goes through AON for her drug plan and her Supplement with me will she loose the the money AT&T will give her since she also qualifies for the Extra Help Program and her premium for the drug plan will be paid by the government?

She needs to get both from the retire plan at Aon Hewitt.If she doesn't Att will not pay her. ---------- I worked for Son last year and that is how it works.
That is how it works with some but not all companies contracting with Aon. I have many ATT retirees who got Part D through their exchange, Medigap from me, and got the full ATT subsidy.

----------

I have a prospect that is a retiree from AT&T. Her income is low enough that she can qualify to get the state to pay her Part B premium. If she goes through AON for her drug plan and her Supplement with me will she loose the the money AT&T will give her since she also qualifies for the Extra Help Program and her premium for the drug plan will be paid by the government?
Unless they have changed their rules she can get her Part D on their exchange, Medigap from you, and get her ATT subsidy.

That is how it works with some but not all companies contracting with Aon. I have many ATT retirees who got Part D through their exchange, Medigap from me, and got the full ATT subsidy.

----------

Unless they have changed their rules she can get her Part D on their exchange, Medigap from you, and get her ATT subsidy.

Agree.......and agree

I had many at&t retirees also and if they bought from me, they would not get the subsidy from at&t, they have to go through AON.

Since some agents have had different experiences, I would suggest you just have customer go through AON and ask the customer for referrals. Better safe then sorry.

I had many at&t retirees also and if they bought from me, they would not get the subsidy from at&t, they have to go through AON. Since some agents have had different experiences, I would suggest you just have customer go through AON and ask the customer for referrals. Better safe then sorry.
I think you missed out on some business by being misinformed by someone at Aon. I had their call center reps tell retirees that they would get no subsidy, but the printed material stated otherwise and my people got their subsidies. Better safe than sorry is one philosophy. I prefer better educated than empty-handed.

Last year the FAQ stated very clearly that they had to purchase medical and/OR prescription coverage through the exchange. If they purchased prescription coverage through the AON exchange they could then purchase their Med Supp elsewhere and file for reimbursement.

Here's the exact wording (copy and paste from the pdf):

7. Can HRA credits be used to reimburse expenses incurred for plans that are not purchased through the Aon Exchange?

The HRA is established after an eligible individual enrolls in a medical and/or prescription drug plan through the Aon Exchange. Once the HRA is established, any eligible expenses that this individual submits for himself for reimbursement will be processed. For example, if the individual is enrolled in a prescription drug plan through the Aon Exchange and is enrolled in a Medigap plan outside of the Aon Exchange, eligible expenses incurred under either plan may be reimbursed through the HRA. Note, however, that the premium auto-reimbursement feature will not be available for non-Aon Exchange plans. Claims will need to be submitted manually.

So unless they've changed it, then people can purchase their Rx coverage through the exchange and Med Supp through you. I helped a few people with this last year. I even instructed them on which prescription plan to enroll in through the exchange.

Reiterating what others have said, the Aon $18/hr reps are mostly clueless. You have to point out what the plan document and FAQ says before they back down.

Or you can just walk away from the opportunity to help someone.

I wrote a couple of them. They only had to buy the RX through AON.

Of course AON didn't make that info easy to understand for the retirees.

Back