Appealing irmaa

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
If a client wins the appeal but will have ncome above the threshold the following year, does anyone know if they have to reapply each year?

If a client wins the appeal but will have ncome above the threshold the following year, does anyone know if they have to reapply each year?

It sounds like they're making money and should just pay it. #cheapskate

I was unaware that this was something that could be appealed. I’ve had clients go to the SS office with tax returns showing income dropped and getting it removed moving forward, but not just removed because they don’t want to pay it.

If a client wins the appeal but will have income above the threshold the following year, does anyone know if they have to reapply each year?
If the income goes up, IRMAA is reinstated, and depending on the year they appealed and the year the income went up, they may get a clawback charge for that year. The appeal application is used when income goes down. If income goes up, there is nothing to appeal. Unless I misunderstood the question...

I think the question was: the client makes a lot of money, but would like to be exempt from the law so how do they go about doing that? I could be wrong, but that’s what I read.

Client can appeal 2019 IRMAA which is based on 2017 income. Let's say in 2017, they earned 300,000 - then in 2018 income went down to 180,000 - and they think it'll go up again in 2019.

I see no reason why they couldn't possibly win the appeal.

But I see no reason to appeal if it is steady income...

Back