Applying for Agent Position Question

AFRET14

I am retiring from the Air Force in March 2014. I would like to have a position lined up for a seamless transition when that happens. How far in advance should one begin applying for open agent positions with captive agencies? Do I need to have my licenses accomplished before applying? Also, I am wanting to move from my current residence in South Carolina to either Phoenix or Las Vegas. Is it feasible an agency would begin the hiring process with me before relocation or will I be force to move then job seek (less desirable of course)? Thanks!!

Congratulations on retiring and thank you for protecting our country. Are you already licensed?
From my experience having the lic already will set you ahead of unlicensed competition.

I would start calling 2 months before you are moving. Look on yelp to see who the most reputable local agencies are.

Good luck!
Cali dude

I would look into rate's in either area. The more the policies premium (in a competitive captive company) means more money. I make 3 times the money a Farmers agent makes in Las Vegas due to my home premium avg $1500 and theirs is like $600. That means I make $300 on a home, they make $120... Multiply that by 20 new clients a month.... $6000 me, $2400 them... then multiply after 10 years of gaining renewals.... My 2,500 PIF makes 3 times the money and I can reinvest faster, grow faster...

Hope that gives you some insight.

Check your states department of insurance website. It probably has the buyers guide with somewhat recent rates for all captive and smaller agencies that are in the state. Whether you want to sell expensive or cheap is your choice. But as far as getting licenses just walk in wherever you decide to go. Farmers payed all my licensing business cards phone etc also e and I insurance plus 300 leads. But that depends on your DM I'm sure other captives are similar.

Hi AFRET14,

Welcome for trying to get into the industry & thanks for your services!
1. You will need to be licensed in order to sell insurance. I would recommend studying for it now. You can look for online insurance licensing courses at kfeducation.com. No, you don't need your license to work (admin roles) for an agency, but will need it to "sell".
2. MOST agencies will want (prefer) someone that is licensed, if you want to sell. You don't technically have to be hired first to take the exam (please check each state). You can take the exam first, then go find employment. Or, you can find an agency that is willing to pay for you to take the exam. That being said, the agency must have some trust or faith you will be around for a while.

2.Relocation - Lets say, if you work in CA, and want to sell in FL, you just need to pay a fee & fill out some forms to sell in FL. If you know where you are moving to for certain, than I would just study for that "state" exam.

Best of luck!

I agree that a couple of months out is a good time to begin your search. I will tell you that getting a position as a producer is not at all difficult. The difficult part is finding an agency that will give you a fair deal. If you have any questions about a contract you are being offered, definitely post them on this forum. People here are extremely helpful.

Good luck and thank you for your service! I am a vet myself. ;)

Back