Applying for Medicare Online

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
It's been a while since I did it with a customer - normally I just have them go online and do it - so I can't recall whether they have a screen for this or not.

Lady turns 65 in October. Her husband's plan ends on 10/31 due to him retiring, so she technically doesn't need full Medicare until 11/1.

She's not getting Social Security, so when she enrolls online will she be able to put a requested effective date of 11/1? Or will Medicare automatically assume 10/1.

Rookie questions, I know. Throw stuff at me if you'd like. I haven't had coffee yet...

Based on my experiences, if she applies before 10/1/2016, they will enroll her for 10/1/2016. I think they enroll first eligible date. But, you could technically decline part B now, then apply for it in October.

HOWEVER, I had a guy TOTALLY get screwed up with Medicare doing this exact thing (on his own). They were applying things retroactively and billing stuff, then saying they were out of IEP, it was bizarre. Something got screwed up on their end and took a while to sort it out.

I would suggest she just enroll in both for the month of October and not chance it, it was a complete hassle for the guy.

Last edited:
Based on my experiences, if she applies before 10/1/2016, they will enroll her for 10/1/2016. I think they enroll first eligible date. But, you could technically decline part B, then apply for it in October.

HOWEVER, I had a guy TOTALLY get screwed up with Medicare doing this exact thing (on his own). They were applying things retroactively and billing stuff, then saying they were out of IEP, it was bizarre. Something got screwed up on their end and took a while to sort it out.

I would suggest she just enroll in both for the month of October and not chance it, it was a complete hassle for the guy.

So the hassle is likely not worth the $120.... makes sense.

So the hassle is likely not worth the $120.... makes sense.
If he applies for Part B in the month of his birth month it will take affect the first day of the next month. So an October enrollment will give him a November 1 start. Many times I've advised clients to do this when they need their Medicare start date one month after their birth month and never had an issue.

Thanks for the reminder.

Referral turns 65 March 1, 2017. Normally Medicare would start 2/1 for him but doesn't need coverage until 3/1. If he applies in Feb will A & B start 3/1 or will they backdate it to 2/1?

Backdating is NOT allowed in Medicare. It is always the 1st day of the next month.

I have had clients that went to the SS office to apply and their coverage was backdated. Happened more than once.

Not sure what Mickey is referencing, but my question and comment was regarding original Medicare. I got caught up in the mechanics of applying online for A & B and my brain froze up.

Even though my clients Medicare would normally start 2/1 due to a 3/1 birth date, he should be able to apply in Feb, online, for a 3/1 eff date for A & B. Correct?

Not sure what Mickey is referencing, but my question and comment was regarding original Medicare. I got caught up in the mechanics of applying online for A & B and my brain froze up. Even though my clients Medicare would normally start 2/1 due to a 3/1 birth date, he should be able to apply in Feb, online, for a 3/1 eff date for A & B. Correct?
SSA will consider Feb. his birth month, so a Feb. enrollment in A and B would result in a 2/1 start for A (always backdated up to six months) and 3/1 start for Part B, the first day of the next month, as he applied in Feb., his "birth month." I have seen Part B backdated by the SSA many times, but usually when someone is in an SEP.

----------

Backdating is NOT allowed in Medicare. It is always the 1st day of the next month.
Part A is backdated up to six months (but no earlier than earliest date eligible) and Part B is not always the first of the next month. It's rarely backdated, but it can happen, but sometimes post-dated as much as three months for those who apply in the last two months of their IEP.

Back