Appointment Setting Time Frame

I've noticed when trying to set appointments within the 48 hour time frame, that some people are adamant that they are so busy they aren't available until say for example the following week.

Granted this is summer time and people are going on vacations, a person called on Monday only has time from work/childcare obligations on weekends, etc.

I would like to know if there is a way (considering they don't have any valid reason and just using the "I'm busy this entire week" as a way to blow off an appointment) to combat the delay and get them to agree to meet sooner? Or is it just a lost cause when they don't agree to meet within 24 - 48 hours?

I've noticed when trying to set appointments within the 48 hour time frame, that some people are adamant that they are so busy they aren't available until say for example the following week.

You don't say what type of prospects you are calling, but, generally speaking, it's been my experience that's a blow-off most of the time. Next week, if you remember to call them, they won't answer.

There are exceptions, of course. Busy people are sometimes busy when we want to see them.

But without more information I'd assume it's the same as a NO.

D leads, mostly from the direct response mail in cards.

I have seen really experienced people push past this objection and get an appointment. Guess I’ll be working on this.

D leads, mostly from the direct response mail in cards.

I have seen really experienced people push past this objection and get an appointment. Guess I’ll be working on this.

Right. It's similar to when they say, "I'm driving right now (or at the doctor's office, or grocery store, etc.) -- can I call you back (or can you call me later)?"

Saying, "Sure. When's a good time?" or the such is wrong. The correct answer is "I'll be brief." Or, "I'll talk fast."

Keep working at it & you'll get there. Good luck.

Right. It's similar to when they say, "I'm driving right now (or at the doctor's office, or grocery store, etc.) -- can I call you back (or can you call me later)?"

Saying, "Sure. When's a good time?" or the such is wrong. The correct answer is "I'll be brief." Or, "I'll talk fast."

Keep working at it & you'll get there. Good luck.
Might work with some but wouldn't with me.. If I say ,"I can't talk now"...and the person calling pushes on, we're done.. If need be I will even hang up on them. First of all, for them to continue to to imply I am lying about not being a convent time to talk. Plus, If they don't respect my time, why should I give them any of it.. either now or later?

I prefaced my original post with it depends "what type of prospects you are calling." You probably wouldn't be on the list the OP is calling.

And I didn't say "I can't talk now."

In my experience the first time they say "Hello?" is often the only chance I will get to turn them into an appointment. How one chooses to deal with that is a matter of personal preference. I'm okay with some extra conversational discomfort and the occasional angry word or hang-up if it fills more slots on my calendar.

Latest posts

Back