Appointments with Statewide Mutual Companies??

1reason

Super Genius
Wisconsin
I'm leaving the group/cluster I'm currently with and examining the options available.

As I look for appointments with carriers, I wonder if mutual companies should be part of the mix. Via the current group, I have access to a regional mutual carrier, but it doesn't have an online commercial quote tool (manually done and have to wait for a call/email that can take days).

I was actually thinking of making a rating tool based on the manual/worksheet provided, and would likely do the same for other smaller mutual companies I become appointed with as needed, so the "manual rating" thing isn't that big of a deal to me.

Anyway, the real question is if there's a better solution that the "kickboxing fight" that a newer agent must go through to get to the point in size that the big carriers want the agent instead of reluctantly agreeing to take them on?

Furthermore, maybe the solution isn't the major carriers, but rather "better" carriers (assuming they're not necessarily one in the same).

There's a reason why big carriers are big, but there's also a reason why smaller carriers stay in business.....thoughts?

larger carriers are more stable. regional can buy business on everything but once they realize the loss control they increase rates. not a bad way to get business but make sure you have a market to move them to if they increase rates

larger carriers are more stable. regional can buy business on everything but once they realize the loss control they increase rates. not a bad way to get business but make sure you have a market to move them to if they increase rates

Thanks and I think that's likely good advise for all business that's written at the lowest price from the "multiple rater".

Regional carriers can be large and stable. I have some National carriers who are much less stable in their rates than one of the Regionals I write with.

I think you do have to be careful with a "hot market" carrier. I've seen both National and Regionals buy business and then have to raise rates when profitability isn't there for them. Having said that, if you are able to identify a quality newcomer to your market then you can share in the growth.

Back