Approaching Potential Prospects

Totes Magotes

I'm currently in the interview process for a sales position at a local agency and was given the task of coming up with 5 prospects before the next interview (this Tuesday). I was told to go out and meet new people. I need to get a first and last name, along with a phone number or address.

Any advice or suggestions on how to approach these people and get their information? I'm not sure how to go about it, especially considering I technically don't have the job, business cards, value, etc. to offer them.

Thanks!

If the agency you interviewed with didn't give you an outline of how to do this, their training after you contract with them won't be any better. If you're going to get training from the internet, what do you need them for? Did they show you how to get the observations / referrals?

Hit up about twenty different mom/pop type shops (can be found in strip malls) that have the owners name and business address on their business card ... walk in look around and if you do not see one on the counter...ask for one...tell them your shoping for something specific and comparing some things...lay all 20 or more cards in front of your manager and say now what....

I'm currently in the interview process for a sales position at a local agency and was given the task of coming up with 5 prospects before the next interview (this Tuesday). I was told to go out and meet new people. I need to get a first and last name, along with a phone number or address.

Any advice or suggestions on how to approach these people and get their information? I'm not sure how to go about it, especially considering I technically don't have the job, business cards, value, etc. to offer them.

Thanks!

Hit up about twenty different mom/pop type shops (can be found in strip malls) that have the owners name and business address on their business card ... walk in look around and if you do not see one on the counter...ask for one...tell them your shoping for something specific and comparing some things...lay all 20 or more cards in front of your manager and say now what....

One hand I like it, because you can really put the manager on the spot and find out what he is worth if you do it right. But, OP appears to have trouble prospecting. This could easily mislead the manager into thinking you know how to prospect, so you never really get the training you need.

This was the first thing my manager at Met told me to do....then tape them in a note book and start calling and making notes beside each card....by pulling the card stunt shows he can think on his feet and from there the manager should have the knowledge to show him how to work the cards....

One hand I like it, because you can really put the manager on the spot and find out what he is worth if you do it right. But, OP appears to have trouble prospecting. This could easily mislead the manager into thinking you know how to prospect, so you never really get the training you need.

very good advice.....you will shock them!!!!. they are testing you....20 would be a good number... of course you have to make sure the job is right for you... ask a lot of questions....who owns the book of business? what % do you get. and most important, what kind of trainning do they offer. is this life/health or P&C.. ..go get them.

Small businesses are great. I made real estate contacts. People buying homes are great. Your real estate agent is a great referral source. Your friends have business cards also. Ask them if they know a good repair person for the home, car, whatever. Or get a local church directory at the library. Bring that to them. Libraries are a great place to start. Go to the reference desk.
Ed:D

</IMG>

This was the first thing my manager at Met told me to do....then tape them in a note book and start calling and making notes beside each card....by pulling the card stunt shows he can think on his feet and from there the manager should have the knowledge to show him how to work the cards....

Good point. My concern is that the manager doesn't know how to teach him to prospect. Instead of doing what your manager at Met did, this guy might just assume Totes knows how to prospect and never get around to teaching him.

what we need is to find out who Totes is working for.....hell it could be megalife....

Good point. My concern is that the manager doesn't know how to teach him to prospect. Instead of doing what your manager at Met did, this guy might just assume Totes knows how to prospect and never get around to teaching him.

Back