Approved but at much higher rated classification

Questions from a new agent still on the learning curve...

1. How can a local agent give you the same prices? They would have to be appointed by the carrier being offered in Quickquote, no?

2. What additional help can a local agent provide for getting approved? Are you referencing that we can contact the underwriting departments and get a risk assessment prior to ever submitting the app?

Thanks for the info!

You are not asking me, but I can give an answer:

1. In non pre appointment states, you can send the application in with the appt. paper work, if a particular carrier is needed and offering a better price for your client, taking into consideration heatlh uw guidlines etc.

2. Risk assesment is a biggie and the agent can help with this as well. A client with hbp and depression may get a non competitive quote from a carrier quoting the best std rates and a super competitive quote from a carrier quoting poor std. rates. It depends on where they are placing their bets.

Additionally, an agent in good standing with a carrier can affect the outcome. I had a Sr. underwriter contact me recently on a case and told me that he was sitting on the fence as far as rate up of 25 or 50 %, and wanted to know what I could tell him about the case. Fortunately I had met with her and told him what I knew of her activities and my personal impression and she got the 25% rate up and in this case it saved her over $50 per month. A skilled agent willing to apply himself is worth a great deal to a client.

Please don't be offended by this but what are your height and weight? When was the last time you saw a doctor and have you had any testing (bloodwork/urine) done in the last couple years?

It might not have been wise to turn down this policy without seeing the lab results and talking with your doctor. While the odds are you aren't going to die soon, the table rating indicates you will probably live a shorter life span than others. You do need to look and see what the findings were and possibly make lifestyle adjustments to improve your situation. You can always ask to have the policy reviewed for change later.

One thing, you wanted insurance and went through the steps and because the numbers weren't low enough you bagged it? Didn't you need insurance? What about changing the duration of the policy until you can clear up your health?

I applied online for a term life insurance and got a paramed come over to my house to give me an examination. A few weeks later I received a call and they said that I was approved but at table rates (tier 3) which is substandard. She said that I was 3 points away from a Standard rating.

Today I got the offical letter and it says that their offer is table C (175%) non-tobacco. They were unable to provide coverage as applied due to abnormal labs.

Now I'm freaking out - ABNORMAL LABS!. I wrote a letter to them requesting the exam results and I also declined the offer.

Abnormal Lab results is a scary thing to read, not sure what that means. I guess what is really scaring me is (god forbid) AIDS or HEP C. It has been about a month since my examination, if it was something as serious as HIV or HEP C would they wait that long to notify me and would they even offer me coverage at all? Can someone please ease my concern about that. This is for New Jersey and the Insurance copany is ING/ReliaStar LIfe

It could be a lot of things, some less serious than others. It is not life threatening or you would have been declined. If it was hep C, you would have been declined.

These are the kind of situations where an experienced agent would have been a huge help to you thru the application process and now thru the rating process.

There should be that much premium difference. I don't know your age or how much coverage you wanted. I just ran an illustration with one of my companies and what I already had in tere was a 37 year old male non tobacco. For $100,000 on a 20 year term the premium is $23/mo at standard. At table C, the premium is $36/mo. I wouldn't let $13/mo get in the way of my having coverage.

It's not in your MIB that you were rated. What's in your MIB is that you applied with a company. If you apply with someone else, they will ask if you have been declined or rated by another company. Since they know you applied somewhere else, you will, either, have the coverage from another company and they will inquire about replacement or, if you don't have the coverage applied for with another company, they will want to know why.

I would advise you to accept the rated policy, get the results from the company and then take them to your doctor. If it is a correctable situation, apply with another company once the situation is corrected or managed.

Next time you apply, do it with a reputable agent that deals with many companies. Show the agent the last labs. Some companies are more liberal on the blood pressure, chloresterol, liver enzymes, hight and weight, etc. The agent will know these things and be able to recommend a company for your situation.

Please don't be offended by this but what are your height and weight? When was the last time you saw a doctor and have you had any testing (bloodwork/urine) done in the last couple years?

It might not have been wise to turn down this policy without seeing the lab results and talking with your doctor. While the odds are you aren't going to die soon, the table rating indicates you will probably live a shorter life span than others. You do need to look and see what the findings were and possibly make lifestyle adjustments to improve your situation. You can always ask to have the policy reviewed for change later.

One thing, you wanted insurance and went through the steps and because the numbers weren't low enough you bagged it? Didn't you need insurance? What about changing the duration of the policy until you can clear up your health?

It's funny how they all want Life insurance only if they are perfectly healthy but not when they're shown to have health issues. It should be the other way around; that they should grab it with both hands while they are still insurable. I even had a person try to "make a deal" on the premium with me thinking he was buying a used car or something. Find someone who had a loved one pass away with a nice coverage then find someone who had a loved one pass away with no coverage. Compare.

Back