Are Agents REALLY Following the CMS Cold-calling Rules?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I haven't phoned a T65 list since the new rules came out, yet I remember how tough it was when I was using them before that time. one of my carriers gave me some "cold" e-mail internet leads. When I call them, at least half of them claim to have never requested the info, but some of them are T65 several months out (up to a year or so). Most of them cannot afford individual coverage and are just curious what's out there. When I talk with them, I tell them that I can help them when the time comes and get their "OK" to call them at a later time, thinking that they would be ready for me 3 months out from 65th bday. Shock. Agents are still calling them up! I don't think that anything has changed at all, CMS rules or no CMS rules. One said that she was invited to a clinic and that afterwards someone called her and came over 2 1/2 weeks ago (before Sept 1 date, Dec 1 eligible). Unclear if maybe she signed an SOA when she was at the clinic?

The other one had someone come over the day after labor Day
(Sept 4th), asked me to call him back. Just called back, the couple had multiple products and easily sold him AARP med complete on the spot.

Both prospects picked uNited Health, the strongest plan in the San Antonio market.

Is this representative of your area too?

Last edited:
Cold call all you want as long as it's not for MA/PDP. If they bring it up, it's where you have to apply CMS rules..."I'd love to talk to you about that Mr Client, but very specific government regulations require me to..."

However, I don't think all agents adhere to the CMS standards. So I could believe that some agents try to pull off an end around and keep their fingers crossed to not get caught.

I'm cold calling t65 but for supps, I do have some ask about a MA plan, while others have already had apts set up to talk to someone about a MA.
This will be my first year offering a MA, personally I don't want to get busted. Not sure how strict CMS is, but I sure don't want to find out.

An agent in my area (Roseville CA) calls old people and says she's with Medicare. Once she's in the home, she switches to FE. I look forward to getting her card and filing a complaint with Calif DOI. I caught one of these insurance skanks last month. I used to look the other way but no more...

I used to cold call for med supps all the time. Nothing wrong with that. My goal was just to set an appt with them

Since there are agents who ignore every rule of decency and honesty I doubt the CMS stuff fazes the skanks.

Back