Are Any of You More Experienced Agents Working on Insurance Designations?

"There may be nothing wrong with it, but it sure hurts your credibility..."

Not compared to talking out your a ss and trying to bluff your way through... :)

I do make a habit of double checking simply because these days the rules change and can change often. If you're working from a knowledge base on a subject from 5 years ago, you could very well be talking out your a ss on any subject in our biz.

Credibility is based on your ability to be honest, not on your ability to bull s hit your way through a question.

Maybe we deal with different things, but most of the questions I get deal with situations that are constantly changing, that is why there is usually a question in the first place.

So I respectfully disagree with your assement. Thanks.

"There may be nothing wrong with it, but it sure hurts your credibility..."

Not compared to talking out your a ss and trying to bluff your way through...

I'm not saying to give them incorrect information. You may have to tap dance a little until you can find it (this is a skill), but the fact remains that when you say, "I don't know", your credibility with the client as an expert plummets.

If you're working from a knowledge base on a subject from five years ago, you could very well be talking out your a ss on any subject in our biz.
If your "knowledge base" is dated by five years, then that certainly won't qualify you as an expert!

As a matter of fact, if your "knowledge base" is five years old, you may want to narrow your focus, stay current, or get out of the business.

Credibility is based on your ability to be honest, not on your ability to bull s hit your way through a question.
Nope, sorry bub. Credibility is based on your client's perception, not some pre-conceived notion that you have. Maybe in the trailer parks it's different, but once you say "I don't know", no matter how honest you're being, your esteem in the client's eyes went way down.
So I respectfully disagree with your assement.
You mean "assessment", yes? Not a problem, I support your right to your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

Perhaps a better approach is saying, "I'm not certain, but I will check it out and get back to you" would reduce the depletion of the agent's credability. Just my 2 cents.

WTF do those initials mean?

Rick ought explain his, too (except for the BA).

CIC (expired) Certified Insurance Counselor
MSAA Medicare Supplement Accredited Advisor
CBC Chartered Benefit Consultant
ACBC Advanced CBC (see above)
CSA Certified Senior Advisor
BA from a terrific university - UCLA

I'm also working on a ChIA - Chumps Insurance Advisor. Chumps is known as the Chia Prez.

Rick

"I support your right to your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

Likewise.....;)

"Credibility is based on your client's perception"

My clients perception of me is that I'm honest... ;)
they appreciate the double checking my own statements if necessary (not like it's all the time) because I want to be gawd dam certain I'm 100% correct. I can't think of too many times where I haven't been.

This comes in handy when the accountant is saying something different or the HR person is out in left field. In these cases my creditbility increases..

so while I understand what you're saying, maybe you didn't understand what I was....
cheers.

In most cases, with most people, it won't matter. 98% of the time you won't be dealing with the advanced markets where those skills will come in handy. For those times that it does, hopefully you'll know how to search for the answers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling a client "I'm not a 100% sure, let me do some new research and get back to you."

Now if you have to do that for everything, do the business a favor and quit. But for those rare times where you come across a tough question, a client appreicates the double check.

I've taken 3 or 4 of the classes waaay back when. Life got in the way. Someday maybe I'll finish it up. But what I found is most of the business we do is based in current legislation. Legslation changes faster than the textbooks do. I found it more helpful ($$$) to just make sure I was current. By the time something gets made in textbook form, it may verywell be outdated.

Can you give an example of what you consider a tough question?

Also, can you tell a little more about how the training has come in handy?

I've worked on a good number of complex life cases, but am self taught. The info. is available for anyone willing to study it.

Things change so frequently, it has been difficult for me to place importance on acquiring more initials behind my name. I did that for years as an engineer, and found it to be largely a waste of time, except when being recruited for a particular job. From a knowledge standpoint it seemed almost worthless to me.

"Can you give an example of what you consider a tough question? "

haven't had one in a while. basically it would be the question that you answered, thought you were right, somebody else in the room questioned it and you went back and pulled up the correct info to back your statement. CPAs and HRs can do this quite a bit.

"Also, can you tell a little more about how the training has come in handy?"

What training would that be?

"I've worked on a good number of complex life cases, but am self taught. The info. is available for anyone willing to study it. "

yup.

"Things change so frequently, it has been difficult for me to place importance on acquiring more initials behind my name. I did that for years as an engineer, and found it to be largely a waste of time, except when being recruited for a particular job. From a knowledge standpoint it seemed almost worthless to me."

Are you sure that you should be challenging me? I mean your points are what 5-6 degrees off of mine. Shouldn't you be more like 180 or at least 90 degrees? You've confused me a bit here. Your post is only slightly different than my posts. So are we in arguement or argreement?

Are you sure that you should be challenging me? I mean your points are what 5-6 degrees off of mine. Shouldn't you be more like 180 or at least 90 degrees? You've confused me a bit here. Your post is only slightly different than my posts. So are we in arguement or argreement?

I thought that maybe you had some of these insurance industry designations and wondered what is learned thru their acquisition, that isn't picked up in the CE classes and on the job training that you give yourself everyday.

My remarks shouldn't be construed as biased in anyway, just wanted to hear from someone who's done it.

The question comes from a standpoint of having sat in silly classes, when I was in manufacturing, taking baby quizzes/exams, and received these certificates that were nothing more than a money making scheme for the people that promote their utility.

I have no doubt that the insurance designations are more meaningful, just wanted a little insight.

Thank you,

Bill3173, AM, PM,

Back