Are Chambers of Commerce a Waste of Time?

PandCforMe

Expert
Curious as to what kind of results you guys have had by joining the local chamber of commerce. I was debating whether or not to apply, it runs approx $225/year in my area (Florida) and I feel like it would be better than doing a BNI. Anyone had any experience with one, good, bad, or indifferent?

Good chance there are a bunch of other insurance agents there, but if not, might not be a bad idea. One nice thing about networking events of any kind for a P&C agent is that nearly everyone is down with the quote idea.

Also in Florida. The local chambers offer members opportunities to get up and give a quick infomercial at their meetings in about thirty seconds or not. Each meeting has multiple P&C guys giving their ultra-boring rote speech.

For niche marketers like me, offering Medicare and senior products, the chamber's not a good fit at all.
Curious as to what kind of results you guys have had by joining the local chamber of commerce. I was debating whether or not to apply, it runs approx $225/year in my area (Florida) and I feel like it would be better than doing a BNI. Anyone had any experience with one, good, bad, or indifferent?

Chambers are good if you can capture people's attention through your appearance. It does you no good if you don't get involved and get to know the folks.

Just like attending a church, it's all good when you attend, but the magic happens when you get involved.

i have been a member of the local C of C here in Oregon for almost a year now. i represent myself as a Resource for Medicare and haven't gotten even one referral. in the past as a Mortgage Broker, I joined two different Chambers at two different times for one year with the same non-result.

Save your money. IMHO.

At 62 cents a day, it sure can't hurt to join. If you get just one client per year, it's well worth it. I would think you can get a few more than that if you really tried.
Just to be listed on their website or newsletter makes it worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone , the $225 isn't a bad price tag, just more worried about the time commitment that could be spent doing something else. Might just have to give it a shot and see

It is all how you approach it.

No one wakes up and thinks, "I'm going to the Chamber to get a quote, find a resource manager, get a home loan, etc." Every last person in that room is there to sell something, including the Chamber staff. The Chamber staff is trying to sell memberships and sponsorships. Everyone there is there to sell, not to buy. So change your approach.

Smile, mingle, meet and greet and exchange business cards. Show up each meeting and volunteer for committees and other projects. Let them see you a few times, then start asking if you can quote.

As a P&C agent, remember that in the next 12 months everyone in that room is going to buy a new insurance policy. Personal, commercial or both, they are all going to renew. You need to position yourself as a person to talk to when it happens and not look for business today.

Latest posts

Back