Are the CIC and CRM Designations Worth Getting?

jos.ins

They sound good but just seem too easy to get to actually be worth anything. Does anyone have any insight? I am a new agent approaching the end of my first year in the business and it is time for me to get a designation. Is there any designation that someone new should go for? I have my life license and am getting my P&C license in April.

Your post doesn't make sense to me.

You are approaching the end of your first year having been licensed in life & health...

You are looking to add P&C licensing in the near future...

... but you are looking into CIC and CRM designations??? These designations are primarily for agents and/or home office employees of a P&C insurance company.

https://www.scic.com/courses/CIC

https://www.scic.com/courses/CRM

Most P&C agents generally pursue the CPCU designation, if they pursue any at all in the area of P&C.

For Life & Health, there are more to choose from, but most generally start with LUTCF and move into CLU and ChFC.

Collecting designations just to collect designations is not in your best interest. Obtaining relevant training and certification for your chosen direction IS a good idea, if you already have a good track to run on for client acquisition and selling. (Don't expect a designation to teach you how to sell, or to have people 'fawn' over your designations and worship the ground you walk on - but it is expected that with additional expertise, you can find more opportunities to help people in a more comprehensive way.)

Your post doesn't make sense to me.

You are approaching the end of your first year having been licensed in life & health...

You are looking to add P&C licensing in the near future...

... but you are looking into CIC and CRM designations??? These designations are primarily for agents and/or home office employees of a P&C insurance company.

Most P&C agents generally pursue the CPCU designation, if they pursue any at all in the area of P&C.

For Life & Health, there are more to choose from, but most generally start with LUTCF and move into CLU and ChFC.

Collecting designations just to collect designations is not in your best interest. Obtaining relevant training and certification for your chosen direction IS a good idea, if you already have a good track to run on for client acquisition and selling. (Don't expect a designation to teach you how to sell, or to have people 'fawn' over your designations and worship the ground you walk on - but it is expected that with additional expertise, you can find more opportunities to help people in a more comprehensive way.)

Thank you, I really appreciate your insight. I was not aware they were specific to P&C. I am not looking to collect designations, I am just looking to add some additional expertise but there are just so many designations, I can not tell which would be beneficial and which would not be. I will look into LUTCF. I really do appreciate your help here.

I did see a CIC for life and health. Is that an actual designation

I don't see the value in it. If you want true expertise in life insurance and annuities, go for the CLU. The LUTCF is a "stepping stone" designation - designed to teach selling skills mixed with some technical information.

On the same note, the FSCP from The American College (where you'd get your CLU) does the same thing as LUTCF, but has different ways to customize your learning experience.

I've been in this business for 12 years or so, and I've NEVER met an agent or advisor who had a "CIC" designation for insurance OR investments. I've seen CFP, LUTCF, CLU, ChFC, CASL, RICP, MSFS, and quite a few others... but never a CIC.

I don't see the value in it. If you want true expertise in life insurance and annuities, go for the CLU. The LUTCF is a "stepping stone" designation - designed to teach selling skills mixed with some technical information.

On the same note, the FSCP from The American College (where you'd get your CLU) does the same thing as LUTCF, but has different ways to customize your learning experience.

I've been in this business for 12 years or so, and I've NEVER met an agent or advisor who had a "CIC" designation for insurance OR investments. I've seen CFP, LUTCF, CLU, ChFC, CASL, RICP, MSFS, and quite a few others... but never a CIC.

What is the experience requirement for CLU? I can not find them anywhere. Is it possible to get a CLU after only being in the business for one year?

I took the CIC classes and received the designation when I was 23 years old - at the time the 2nd youngest. I did learn a great deal about P&C and became a very good technical agent. But I did not learn how to sell

It required an annual update of either repeating a course or taking an advanced class. Back then they only had a course on insuring oil wells. So I got bored and finally dropped the designation. The knowledge was more important than the initials after my name.

Rick

Back