Are There HIPAA Regs Preventing Selling Life to my Medigap Clients?

Medigap

Expert
We're considering offering life insurance to our Medicare supplement clients. Are any of you aware of HIPAA regulations preventing the cross-sell of life insurance to Medicare supplement clients? I had a rep from one of the carriers point this out to me.

No. The Rep is either confused, thought you were selling part d or mapd or an ***.

Edit: hell I sell life Ins to my mapd clients. Just can't do it on the same visit. Med supps it doesn't matter

We're considering offering life insurance to our Medicare supplement clients. Are any of you aware of HIPAA regulations preventing the cross-sell of life insurance to Medicare supplement clients? I had a rep from one of the carriers point this out to me.

As long as you are not discussing part D or C on the same visit then its fine before and after the sale.There is a CMS marketing restriction on systemically marketing life insurance to your part C/D book of business even however there may be a compliant work around if get them to sign a form giving permission.Not 100% sure on this but i know Humana Marketpoint agents do this.

As long as you are not discussing part D or C on the same visit then its fine before and after the sale.There is a CMS marketing restriction on systemically marketing life insurance to your part C/D book of business even however there may be a compliant work around if get them to sign a form giving permission.Not 100% sure on this but i know Humana Marketpoint agents do this.

Even that is not HIPPA. It's MIPPA, {or Humana for short:yes:}.

Thanks folks! I was sure I knew it wasn't an issue but haven't offered life insurance in several years. With all of the regulations in the past half decade it wasn't too hard to believe.

Back