Are there still debit agents out there?

adjusterjack

Guru
1000 Post Club
I was reading a thread on another site about jobs that have long ago been eliminated due to the progress of technology and industry and it occurred to me to wonder if the debit agent still existed.

Debit agent meaning the agent who goes house to house weekly or monthly to collect premiums on the policies that he has sold.

I was reading a thread on another site about jobs that have long ago been eliminated due to the progress of technology and industry and it occurred to me to wonder if the debit agent still existed.

Debit agent meaning the agent who goes house to house weekly or monthly to collect premiums on the policies that he has sold.
Kemper Home Service companies are still running debits..Security National has a captive debit operation. I am sure there are more. Then, there are some independent agents running debits with companies like Columbian and LB..

Yup, I'm still out there! A little different than when I started as a captive. I'm independent, my main debit carrier being LBL, which is set up to be a debit contract. But I have a couple other carriers that I write collectable business with also, whose contract is geared more to FE, but allow me to collect even though they don't normally allow it.

Being independent frees me to write other products when appropriate, also, like larger face amount Term or UL, etc. I also write a fair amount of bank drafted FE business. In fact looking at my entire book of business, only about 25% of my current clients are debit. However my debit book accounts for nearly half of my income, due to high renewal commission %. (My independent contracts also pay me significantly better than my captive contracts ever did.)

On the captive side, I'll add American National to Rouse's list. They're still running debits in several states. However, I've seen some recent changes to their operation that lead me to believe they may be moving away from it in the near future. (I saw the same kind of changes at American General about 5 years before they shut it down.)

Last edited:
Yup, I'm still out there! A little different than when I started as a captive. I'm independent, my main debit carrier being LBL, which is set up to be a debit contract. But I have a couple other carriers that I write collectable business with also, whose contract is geared more to FE, but allow me to collect even though they don't normally allow it.

Being independent frees me to write other products when appropriate, also, like larger face amount Term or UL, etc. I also write a fair amount of bank drafted FE business. In fact looking at my entire book of business, only about 25% of my current clients are debit. However my debit book accounts for nearly half of my income, due to high renewal commission %. (My independent contracts also pay me significantly better than my captive contracts ever did.)

On the captive side, I'll add American National to Rouse's list. They're still running debits in several states. However, I've seen some recent changes to their operation that lead me to believe they may be moving away from it in the near future. (I saw the same kind of changes at American General about 5 years before they shut it down.)
I forgot about AN. They are the onlly debit company I have known about where the agents
Had a union.

Back