Are There Too Many Agents in Your Market?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Honestly. I just got a call from a T65 March 2017 who was referred to me by her sister. I had already made an appointment with her a few weeks ago after she called earlier , but then her son just had to be rushed to the ER on that day (what luck). "No worries, I told her, we'll reschedule" I even called she and her husband a week before AEP ended. This seems to happen A LOT lately where a loyal member or doctor's office will give me a referral to no avail, ESPECIALLY when a T65 is involved. It's practically a tug of war with other agents when that happens. I even took the extra step of calling the sister ( my mb) to thank her for the referral. She told me that she would make sure that the sister would call me. It seems like I need to be much more hardass about rescheduling an appointment, but it seems distasteful to me to do so when their family is occupied with other issues. What do you do to salvage more of these referrals? Or do you just write it off?
Anyway, that was 2 "new to Medicare". She told me that I can come over next week, but I'm not holding my breath. It sucks.

Last edited:
Yeah, if i'm not the only agent in the county there are too many. But all seriousness aside, It's probably a wash between cases lost and gained from referrals and doctors. I recently saved one by asking if the doctor friend had an insurance license. I explained my agreement with the SC Medical Society not to practice medicine if they wouldn't advise on insurance.:twitchy:

Yeah, if i'm not the only agent in the county there are too many. But all seriousness aside, It's probably a wash between cases lost and gained from referrals and doctors. I recently saved one by asking if the doctor friend had an insurance license. I explained my agreement with the SC Medical Society not to practice medicine if they wouldn't advise on insurance.:twitchy:

That's a good ☝️ one.

The only thing I can think to contribute is to mention how long you've had her sister as a client, and that you are here to serve BOTH of their needs, because that's how your business grows. I'd just emphasize that, and if the sister is happy, so will she.

The only thing I can think to contribute is to mention how long you've had her sister as a client, and that you are here to serve BOTH of their needs, because that's how your business grows. I'd just emphasize that, and if the sister is happy, so will she.

Nobody can say it better than that.

Send her a handwritten note. Handwritten notes have made a lot of sales for me.

When I've feel like I'm getting too close to annoying my client by leaving too many phone messages, I'll send her a note.

I used to use blank note cards from a discount store. (You can probably get 8 for $1.00 or so.) This worked well, but I had some stationery made up that looks more professional and makes it even easier since my contact information is pre-printed.

Notepad Printing - Print Custom Memo Pads at UPrinting.com!

I use the same stationery to thank clients for referrals. Works like a charm. I get a lot more 2nd, 3rd... referrals from the same clients than I ever did before.

I put two business cards and a refrigerator magnet in every envelope and a $10 amazon gift card for referrals. I feel like if I put something in their hands it, to some degree replaces the handshake and, makes my clients feel more connected to me. I believe that this has increased my persistency and generated more referrals.

Low cost. High yield. Easy to do.

Last edited:
Honestly..

Is there a way to check number of insurance agents?

----------

Send her a handwritten note. Handwritten notes have made a lot of sales for me.

When I've feel like I'm getting too close to annoying my client by leaving too many phone messages, I'll send her a note.

I used to use blank note cards from a discount store. (You can probably get 8 for $1.00 or so.) This worked well, but I had some stationary made up that looks more professional and makes it even easier since my contact information is pre-printed.

I use the same stationary to thank clients for referrals. Works like a charm. I get a lot more 2nd, 3rd... referrals from the same clients than I ever did before.

I put two business cards and a refrigerator magnet in every envelope and a $10 amazon gift card for referrals. I feel like if I put something in their hands it, to some degree replaces the handshake and, makes my clients feel more connected to me. I believe that this has increased my persistency and generated more referrals.

Low cost. High yield. Easy to do.

How does price compare to Vista Print?

I like the Amazon GC idea. My SF agent sent me $15 GC for someone. I did try to refer him more business.

Vista Print costs a lot more for most items even with a discount code. VP does have a more intuitive website but I usually use uprinting.

Is there a way to check number of insurance agents?

----------

I'm sure its true in every state, but I cant say for sure. But in FL, you can go on the DOI website, and DL a list of agents with a certain license. You can filter it, by date of liscensed, appoint with certain carriers, etc...
If they are eligible to sell a certain product, its probably safe to assume, they at the very least dabble in your arena.

Since youre asking for advice: Id never "reschedule" an appointment without hammering down a time on the phone, there and now. So if the son goes into the hospital, fine, lets reschedule for the beginning of next week. Get a commitment.

grantcardone.com/products/sell-or-be-sold-book

Back