Are You a Member of NAIFA, or Some Other Lobbyist Organization??

Do you see any value in lobbyist organizations such as NAIFA??

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Dont care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
I recently posted in the annuity section that agents love to complain about regulations and legislation within our industry, but hate to contribute.

So how many of you out there contribute to our cause?

What have you personally done (money or time) to help the causes of agents and our clients on a legislative level??

Do you even feel that its important to do so?

Do you see any value in organizations such as NAIFA??

Re: Are You a Member of NAIFA, or Some Other Lobbyist Organizatio

We belong to NAIFA...not sure about the value but it's a worth a try. We also will write our elected officials when we feel it will help. Most importantly, we don't drink the Kool-Aid. We think for ourselves and don't rely on GAs and Insurance Companies to tell us what's good for our clients. We think it through ourselves.

I recently posted in the annuity section that agents love to complain about regulations and legislation within our industry, but hate to contribute.

So how many of you out there contribute to our cause?

What have you personally done (money or time) to help the causes of agents and our clients on a legislative level??

Do you even feel that its important to do so?

Do you see any value in organizations such as NAIFA??

I spent 10+ years lobbying in Jefferson City, MO and DC lobbying on behalf of business. I have used my connections to also promote insurance related legislation since I have quit doing that.

It is extremely important for us as individual agents to communicate with our Representatives and Senators. Specifically the ones in our district. Talking to those who we can't vote for is pretty much a waste of time.

Contributing to a PAC is definitely beneficial but again will not carry as much weight as a personal letter to those who we can vote for. On the state level I have seen as few as three hand written letters on a "Big Chief" tablet be considered enough constituent input to cause a senator or rep to change their vote.

Wow. Im glad to see some participation in this thread!

I am a member of NAIFA, and contribute to their PAC.

About 5 years ago when I was greener than a blade of grass and peddling Aflac and group health; Congress was about to pass a piece of legislation that would have basically almost eliminated the supplemental markets! (it was just the wording of a few lines in the bill)
Well, thanks to NAIFA's PAC and other industry lobbyist the wording of the bill was changed and business went on as usual.

This was the first :idea: moment when I realized that these people do good work for us... even if we dont see it on a regular day to day basis. I have been a member ever since.

As Frank pointed out; handwritten letters are great, & very powerful. I have had congressmen tell me that a handwritten letter to them will almost always get read, especially if its well written and logical.
Calling or speaking personally to your congressmen works well too.
I have spoken personally to two different congressmen within my state about proposed regulation of EIAs, as well as health care.
After explaining EIAs, they both agreed that they should not be classified as a security.... one actually said he might want to sit down and talk about one for him! (who knows if it will actually happen)

But us agents on the ground cant keep up with every little bit of legislation that is proposed... thus the need for PACs within our industry.

So I will ask this again.
To the agents on the board (especially the ones that have complained about health reform and EIA regulation) how have you contributed? What PAC do you support?
If your answer is "none", then you really should stop your complaining, because your getting what you deserve!!!

Sitting right on my desk in my Prudential roach clip (it's a foam dollar sign with a clip that sticks out of it to hold notes, they gave it to me a few years ago) is my NAIFA membership card. I know a number of people who are very active. Unfortunately, since moving back to Vermont most of the active members are quite far away from me so I've been less connected.

I need to read more carefully...no, we don't belong to nor do we believe in NAIFA. We belong to NAFA however. We find that NAIFA has become too Financial Planner friendly and not focused enough on the insurance side.

One time, we found that the WSJ had inaccurately portrayed fixed annuities. We called over to NAFA and they contacted the author who then clarified the story...that's not bad!

I need to read more carefully...no, we don't belong to nor do we believe in NAIFA. We belong to NAFA however. We find that NAIFA has become too Financial Planner friendly and not focused enough on the insurance side.

One time, we found that the WSJ had inaccurately portrayed fixed annuities. We called over to NAFA and they contacted the author who then clarified the story...that's not bad!

Who cares what organization it is, as long as you are participating in something!

And thats a great example of why we should support these groups.

Back