Are You Selling at 0% Commission?

I charge small fee for the consultation and work selectively for existing client. I am explaining that I can't help with servicing.

What type of consultation are you doing?
How much is the small fee?

I charge small fee for the consultation and work selectively for existing client. I am explaining that I can't help with servicing.

So let me get this straight...you are going to charge clients a fee for consultation whom are broke out of the gate?:D Sounds like a winning business plan to me. :goofy::nah:

Existing clients appreciate your kindness, and increasingly respect your advice as time passes. Forgo the fee, and start advising them on obtaining other insurance and/or savings plans from you. You'll earn more over the long term. Fee-based services don't generate passive residual income.

I'm not meaning to imply that I do a 0% app very often, it's a rare situation that I make a 0% commission on someone, but every once in a while I do. I'm also in an area where the main companies are still paying full comp.

Calling in to the marketplace for assistance is also not a common occurrence for me, usually an Identity Verification issue. If there is very rare case that there is something major and I have to deal with the marketplace on the phone, then it does take hours... but months and lost vacation time? Not from where I'm sitting.
I definitely agree that this thing isn't guaranteed for very long, but when this system changes, my clients will be coming to me to set them up on the next system, whether or not I'm making 0% or 5% on them right now.

Crazy is the right word. :wacko:

Only a person who hasn’t been in this from the beginning would think that way.
1. Take a an April 1 SEP
2. Application doesn’t reach the carrier
3. Wasted hours on the phone with the carrier and the Marketplace
4. Did they owe documents? Canceled when they did not turn them in? More hours dealing with them trying to fix it.
5. When the surprise bill comes in they will try to make it your problem.
6. Lost vacation. Lost peace of mind. Lost ME time.

These things take hours days and months to fix. You will be the only accountable working like a dog. The Marketplace nor the carrier cares as long as they are getting paid and they have a few people who are crazy enough to sacrifice themselves for 0%. This is why many are only doing SEP business IF compensation is available. If you’ve been paying attention you would know future compensation is not guaranteed. So if you would like to work months for 0% to gain a possible future 0% makes no sense but it’s your choice. :confused:

Well, now that Coventry and others have gone to doing everything "offline" even if I wanted to assist someone who is soon to become a Medicare client, I can't manually do what it would require to even do that.

So, I had a gal today who is married to one of my Medicare clients - her COBRA ends soon. I provided BCBS quotes (since they are the last one still paying here) and explained that if she needed more info on Coventry, I could send the rate sheets to her, but would not be able to enroll her.

She indicated that she'd just choose a Blue Cross plan, since she wants me to be compensated if I assist her.

I think I'll just do the same with anyone else who comes along.

Hopefully it helps a little that HealthSherpa will be doing Free enrollments throughout SEP. Separate thread for that here

I'm also looking into alternative ways that we can help agents, particularly those of you who are looking to get out of or minimize your exposure to ACA enrollment work.

One possibility would be to set up a referral option for you to refer your ACA business and get a referral fee without having to serve the clients. We already do something like this by giving a credit for apps an agent is not appointed with and refers to the HealthSherpa managed NPN.

If we were to do a cash payment instead of a HealthSherpa credit, it creates the complication that it could very quickly become a big money loser for us. However, would definitely be interesting to get your feedback on how something along those lines could work.

Existing clients appreciate your kindness, and increasingly respect your advice as time passes. Forgo the fee, and start advising them on obtaining other insurance and/or savings plans from you. You'll earn more over the long term. Fee-based services don't generate passive residual income.

Yep, I agree with the above.

----------

However, I have read the "elitists" articles out there on the web putting us agents down (some were probably what I call my "olde Bohemian Buddies" during school years), but they are so wrong on thinking people can sign up without real decisions on Health Insurance.

I've 4 people in my area who signed up for (A certain carrier), and their 'captive' agents failed to disclose that a hospital for ER is 20 miles away. The 2nd is 1 1/2. Today they owe a whopping 7,000 plus for ER expense, because they went out of the network. They want to go after those agents and the Marketplace for their expenses. I've told them good luck, but they are back with me at a very low percent.

What type of consultation are you doing?
How much is the small fee?

I do small presentation and I differentiate offerings by types. I interview their needs and budget and make offerings from everything available. I search for their current providers, if no such, I am giving them list for providers. I spend with them 1 hour, sometimes 2. (for new clients) For existing, they know pretty much already, and we discuss what changed during 2015, and share disappointments from 2016 offerings. They eventually buy good name or compromise on price.

Back