Are You Selling at 0% Commission?

How much are you charging for that 1-2 hour session?

Some from them are purchasing a product which is commissioned, so the balance is I am preserving my book.

I am much worried about next year. There is a lot more uncertainty than the surprise we had this year. My 30 are just do not feel the pressure to sale or loose. :skeptical:

----------

So let me get this straight...you are going to charge clients a fee for consultation whom are broke out of the gate?:D Sounds like a winning business plan to me. :goofy::nah:

I always charge this small fee, based on time frame they are in my office, following servicing and education. It doesn't cover too much from my efforts, but people respect when they pay, and don't run from one office to another. I don't take my job as sales person. I try to stay on consultative position.

Today I had a call on P&C site and my client told me: ...why you don't answer immediately and certificates should be issued until next day?
I explained: ...I understand that you have few policies with me, but even if they are 5000 in premiums and I have 10% commission, my made is 500. If you call me 5 times this month and want immediate assistance, I am distracted from sales, and if everybody asks for same, I couldn't grow my business. I work these things at evening time if they are properly ordered.
She answered: I am ready to pay your time, just need your service asap.

So I realized, that I should split my customers by type and charge them accordingly. I am considering fees for each service which is above what I am paid for already. Commissions unfortunately don't pay our constant efforts, care and knowledge.

Any suggestions? :idea:

Hopefully it helps a little that HealthSherpa will be doing Free enrollments throughout SEP. Separate thread for that here

I'm also looking into alternative ways that we can help agents, particularly those of you who are looking to get out of or minimize your exposure to ACA enrollment work.

One possibility would be to set up a referral option for you to refer your ACA business and get a referral fee without having to serve the clients. We already do something like this by giving a credit for apps an agent is not appointed with and refers to the HealthSherpa managed NPN.

If we were to do a cash payment instead of a HealthSherpa credit, it creates the complication that it could very quickly become a big money loser for us. However, would definitely be interesting to get your feedback on how something along those lines could work.

If that wasn't a troll of a post I don't know what is....

Some states prohibit fee based business when you're also earning commissions. Guess I need to revisit this . . .

Yes, you should check, but without it, no reason to sustain all the humiliation from multiple rejections. The agent will not know where his place is: with the client, or as companies' rep. If all companies go for 0%, it will work for us to charge large fees. Attorneys survive without commissions, right?

Yes, you should check, but without it, no reason to sustain all the humiliation from multiple rejections. The agent will not know where his place is: with the client, or as companies' rep. If all companies go for 0%, it will work for us to charge large fees. Attorneys survive without commissions, right?

Yes, but I need clarification--if I'm receiving commission in one line--like medical, does that prohibit charging fees for U65? Just wondering how expansive the rule is in the states where it applies.

ggaico has been spamming me via private messages until I blocked him/her. I don't believe English is his/her native tongue. Did not understand the meaning of "NO".

@Tkruger - If an agent is looking to get out of doing ACA enrollments and support - why not? Trying to understand if there's something we can structure that would help agents monetize via referral. Have had some positive reactions from individual outreach. Open to feedback and suggestions.

I case you weren't aware the PPACA law put our commission in the loss ratio. If our commissions were not included in the loss ratio then the carriers would not be cutting our commissions. We need to get these NAHUs and other agent organizations to lobby for moving our commissions out of the loss ratio calculation.

@Tkruger - If an agent is looking to get out of doing ACA enrollments and support - why not? Trying to understand if there's something we can structure that would help agents monetize via referral. Have had some positive reactions from individual outreach. Open to feedback and suggestions.

Because this would be akin to purchasing a book of business which would belong in the offers section.

Back