Arthritis and health insurance

agent4sail

Expert
I have a client referral in Georgia that has childhood onset arthritis. She is currently on a group plan. The company will not be renewing employee coverage and she needs a replacement.
She was diagnosed at 2 years old, now 44, with no other medical issues. She is symptom free, no prosthetics, no appliances. Can anyone suggest a good option for this prospect? Major medical coverage is preferred.

I can't think of anyone right off the top of my head. There are different types of juvenile arthritis and it seems like most (all) are rheumatoid. If so, your client is probably dead in the water.

You need the exact diagnosis and then call the underwriters. Suggest a plan without copays and a $2500 ded.

If you can't get her done that way, let her go on COBRA if available and then use HIPPA.

I have a little knowledge about this. What they used to call "Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis" (now called "Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis") is not the same as the Rheumatoid Arthritis you're probably familiar with. While there are some kids with true RA, JRA/JIA is an autoimmune disease that, by definition, runs its course by the time the patient reaches adulthood. If your client was diagnosed with either pauciarticular JRA or polyarticular JRA, and there are no remnants of joint or eye damage as an adult, an underwriter who is well-versed in the condition could probably do something for you, and I would bet it could be done at standard rates. Where are you located?

Ha! Exactly right, healthagent. That song is where I got my handle from -- it's also on the soundtrack of "Dumb and Dumber."

HIPAA eligible? Yes. Problem is there are no good options here.

COBRA is not available if the group is terminating.

Thanks for the info. She is not being offered Cobra and thus no HIPAA benefit. I called several carriers and they all said no chance of coverage with the JRA.
Bombbastic, I will do some futher research on JIA and advise her accordingly. Thanks.

Back