Article: 4 Ways You Lose Potential Insurance Customers

Good points to consider. Though I wonder how the author would suggest addressing point number four, especially in regards to reporting violations. Cost of acquisition can be high enough without paying an additional ten bucks on every prospect for an MVR.

I think Progressive needs to work on #4 Making Customers Work

The MVR shows the driver took the defensive driving course but they still ask for a copy of the certificate, customers don't have it and are so lazy its me who ends up calling the driving schools to get a copy.

Asking for 500 proofs of address, one lady I had to call every day and ask for more documents, it was every day for a week faxing over and dropping off more paperwork. They would not accept docs in her maiden name, wouldn't accept docs with just the husbands name, wouldn't accept pay stub because they company address on it was a PO Box, it was on and on and the stupid part is she was already a progressive customer for two years.

Good points to consider. Though I wonder how the author would suggest addressing point number four, especially in regards to reporting violations. Cost of acquisition can be high enough without paying an additional ten bucks on every prospect for an MVR.

that right there told me that the author hasn't spent much (if any) time being an agent. nor has he experienced the frustration of people dummy-ing up and being clueless about what's on their driving record.

----------

I think Progressive needs to work on #4 Making Customers Work

The MVR shows the driver took the defensive driving course but they still ask for a copy of the certificate, customers don't have it and are so lazy its me who ends up calling the driving schools to get a copy.

Asking for 500 proofs of address.

I can't say that I've had any issues with the safety driving courses. usually when I ask customers if they've taken a safety driving class, the response I generally get is a dumb look followed by "huh?" ...... must be a New York thing.

but I agree that the proof of garaging thing is a major pain in the arse!

I understand WHY they have cracked down on this. a lot of people try to cheat on their address to get a cheaper rate....

but the measures they take to combat this problem seems to lose more quality business than it does weed out bad business.

I've averaged losing about a policy per month because of this. I get about two people flagged a month. half of which I write with another carrier, the other half I lose. :no:

Especially, as I mentioned in another thread, when you have a person with a common name. Sometimes I think that's all they really check. They can make it overly burdensome with that. If I get the message that requires documentation before binding, I simply close the Progressive tab for that person. As far as proof of residence after binding, I find it silly they won't accept just the license. If they're trying to cheat their way out of a higher rate by fibbing about their address, getting a license issued with a fake address is probably more trouble than it's worth.

...and if Progressive was really concerned about that, you'd think they WOULDN'T accept the license issued within past 90 days, rather than preferring it.

Back